Boys wrestling comes up short against Trevians

Despite Salinas, Atac, Terrizzi taking home victories, Evanston Township High School falls to New Trier in dual meet

Boys wrestling just began their competition season last week, but already faced one of their most challenging competitors in their second dual meet on Friday night: New Trier. While Evanston certainly found its bright moments in Beardsley Gym, the Kits ultimately were unable to hold on with the win, falling 40-31 to the Trevians.

Wrestlers competed in weight classes ranging from 106-285 pounds. In the fourteen matches, half of them were won by the Kits, led by freshman Rodrigo Salinas and senior captain Eren Atac. However, Evanston fell short in the point category to beat the Trevians. 

“It’s early in the season, and there are a lot of aspects that we’re still working on. We’re knocking off rust, and we’re still trying to get in shape,” head coach Rudy Salinas said. “I think it’ll take a little bit of time, but we are two or three weeks away from hitting a nice groove.”

While the Kits continue to prepare and get into shape to take on even more competitive teams in the future, a lot of their individual and group success comes from the energy on and off the mat, which was especially clear in Friday’s match.  

“I believe we can go really far. The guys help me every day,” senior captain Marco Terrizzi stated. “Today we were really gritty. The guys that usually would give up a few points worked really hard on the bottom.”

Terrizzi had an exceptional match against the Trevians. He took down his opponent in a mere eight seconds, leaving the stands in absolute disbelief.

For Terrizzi, that success came as no surprise.

“I have a routine,” Terrizzi said. “I self-talk. I visualize what my goals are. I just don’t think when I’m in it, I just do [it].”

Even with Terrizzi’s win, the Trevians outwrestled the hosts on the night, but the future is promising for the Kits. 

“I think we were fading. We got the energy back, and there were waves in there. [It was] entertaining, but the numbers [today] were not ours,” Salinas said. “Our goals are to be all-conference. That’s one of the short-term goals. After that, it’s to place at regionals, sectionals, and the state qualifier and try to get on the podium. More than half of my team believes that they can do that.”

“Last year, I didn’t qualify for state. This year, I want to be the state champ. And in the summer, I want to be a national champ,” Terrizzi stated.

The Kits have high hopes for the season and with Terrizzi leading the team, their goals have a good chance of being met.

Evanston will take the mats again at Deerfield on Dec. 8 at 5:30 p.m.