Livatino sets school record for passing yards in loss to GBS

The junior quarterback’s 406 yards in the air weren’t enough to make up for Kits’ porous defense.
Adrian Garton
Colin Livatino set the school record for passing yards with 406 against Glenbrook South on Sept. 22.

The first play from scrimmage set the tone for the kind of night junior quarterback Colin Livatino was about to have at Lazier Field on Friday night.

Livatino found senior wide receiver and cornerback Keron Pryor for an 81-yard touchdown pass that would just be the start of Livatino’s night under center. Then, just 10 minutes later, Livatino found senior running back Damarion Timberlake for a 55-yard screen pass. Yet, even after setting a school record for passing yards with 406, Livatino’s passing wasn’t enough to lift Evanston into the win column against Glenbrook South.

Despite going up 14-0 in the early going, Evanston ended up losing a duel of two offenses trading haymarkers all night, falling 42-33 against the Titans.

“We are a young team, and all I want for us is to continue to grow through these weeks, and turn these losses into wins,” stated Timberlake.

In the last few minutes of the first quarter, GBS (1-4) started to attack the Kits (1-4) on the ground, which brought them a touchdown and set the score at 14-7 going into the second quarter. During the second quarter, GBS continued to penetrate the Kits’ defense with runs, targeting the outside. Another rushing touchdown brought the Titans into a 14-14 tie going into halftime. 

Coming out of halftime, Evanston’s offense was on attack, with Timberlake receiving the ball for multiple plays, gaining great yardage and first downs. 

“The willingness and hunger to win is what keeps me going throughout the season, as well as keeping faith,” Timberlake said.

Despite Timberlake and the rest of the team’s efforts, the Kits continually let up yardage and eventually touchdowns, ceding the 28-14 lead to the Titans to start off the final quarter of the game. 

Though GBS recorded a touchdown on the first play of the fourth quarter, putting up 35 straight points on the Kits, Evanston continued to find dependability in its passing game, as both Pryor and senior wide receiver, Emmett Robinson, brought in passes for touchdowns. With an 80-yard throw to Robinson and a 30-yard completion to Pryor (with a missed extra point), Livatino and the Kits brought the score to 35-27.

Unfortunately, the Kits’ comeback was stopped in its tracks by another touchdown from GBS, and a final 15-yard touchdown run from Timberlake finalized the score as a 42-33 loss for the Kits.

Despite their defeat, the high-scoring game provided excitement and energy for the team and their supporters. Evanston will take on New Trier (1-4) for its Homecoming game next Friday, Sept. 29 at 7 p.m. at Lazier Field. The Trevians are coming off a 50-3 defeat by Maine South on Friday.

Editor’s note: This story’s subhead originally listed Colin Livatino as a senior. He is a junior. The Evanstonian regrets this error.