Football can’t hold off Fremd offense, loses big

Evanston Township High School falls in second straight non-conference match.

With an 85-yard kick return, senior Keron Pryor helped the Kits hit back directly following Fremd’s first touchdown of the game on Friday night at Lazier Field. However, despite Pryor’s two-touchdown performance, the Kits (1-2) couldn’t hold off Fremd’s (1-2) offensive force over the course of four quarter, falling 30-14.

The Kits’ first drive ended on their own 41-yard line, and Fremd started off the scoring with a run, pushing the score to 7-0, which the Kits quickly tied with Pryor’s 85-yard run. On the game, Evanston’s defense forced two fumbles, although the Kits struggled to stop the Vikings from running the ball, which was the main outlet for their yardage. 

In the second quarter, Fremd continued to attack through runs and scored off a long pass, eventually widening their lead to 21-7. ETHS returned rejuvenated after halftime, with a noticeable increase in communication on the field. 

“We worked on chemistry a lot this off-season. It is something we have built up slowly,” says senior running back Damarion Timberlake. 

The chemistry showed as the Kits crept closer with another touchdown by Pryor off a long pass from quarterback Colin Livatino. Fremd continued to penetrate through its run game and brought the score to 30-14.

Though the last two games have ended disappointingly for the Kits, there’s still plenty of time to turn the season around. 

“We’re a young team. There’s a lot of different things to work on, but we mainly need to surpass all of the mental barriers and go into every game confident,” says Timberlake. 

The Kits head to Palatine (1-2) on Thursday for their first away game of the year, while their next home match will be against Glenbrook South (0-3) on September 22.