GBN’s Philbin stomps over Kits for four touchdowns, including game-winner

Evanston Township High School football hangs tight with Spartans all night, gives up last-minute touchdown to fall out of playoff contention.
Adrian Garton
Despite the Kits’ offense keeping the game close, the Spartans’ run game—led by senior quarterback John Philbin—proved too much.

With three minutes remaining in the game on a rainy senior night at Lazier Field, Evanston and Glenbrook North were neck-and-neck in a 21-21 tie. 

Senior quarterback John Philbin, who scored four times for the Spartans throughout the night, took it 60 yards to the house to put the Kits away and end their playoff hopes, falling 28-21 to GBN. 

The Spartans (2-6, 1-3 CSL) were first on the board with a touchdown run that put them up 7-0 to end the first quarter. Senior running back Damarion Timberlake returned the favor at the end of the first half with a short inside carry for a touchdown to end the half at 7-7, ending the Kits’ listless start. 

“We came out flat as an offense and allowed them to score early, which ultimately turned the tide of the game,” Timberlake says. 

In the first 20 seconds of the third quarter, Philbin carried his second solo score, an 83-yard touchdown run with a blocked kick which put GBN up, 13-7. Keeping the Kits (3-5, 2-2) in the game, Timberlake scored another inside run. This touchdown run was followed by another Kits touchdown, off a 10-yard pass from junior quarterback Colin Livatino, to senior wide receiver Emmett Robinson. 

However, ETHS couldn’t hold its lead. Another Philbin touchdown as well as a two-point conversion tied the game 21-21 with five minutes remaining. GBS’ final buzzer-beating carry finalized the Spartans’ win, and officially ended Evanston’s playoff prospects.

Despite the disappointment of a loss, the Kits’ performance was not without its highlights. Timberlake scored two rushing touchdowns with a total of 131 yards, and Livatino threw for 93 passing yards. The game followed two conference victories against New Trier and Deerfield, but their 3-5 record still falls short of winning.

As the last home game for the team’s seniors, there were a lot of emotions left on the field. Those leaving the team have faith for next season, hoping returning players can continue the culture they helped create and come back stronger. 

“It’s still crazy to think that high school football is over for me,” Timberlake says. “I really wish I could have done more for the team earlier.”