Ross’ hat trick propels girls soccer to regional final victory

After a decisive 9-0 win over Maine West in the regional semifinal to begin their playoff run, girls soccer seemed poised for success in the regional final. And success they had. Just ten minutes into the game, the Kits had netted three goals, and they didn’t stop there, doubling their score in the second half to secure the 6-1 victory.

“We knew how important it was to set the tone of the game,” head coach Stacy Salgado said. “It’s a championship. The girls were obviously excited to play.”

Freshman forward Alexandra Merriam earned the Kits’ first goal of the night less than four minutes in—with a solo corner kick. A few minutes later, freshman defender Maizlyn Kelly launched a free kick directly into the box that was eventually finished by senior midfielder Sydney Ross. Ross immediately followed up her first score with another just before the ten-minute mark.

Though the Kits didn’t score for the rest of the first half, aggressive attacks and well-coordinated set pieces allowed the team many close calls. The team’s season together has produced a well-oiled machine.

“The energy was high, the girls were hungry and we finished on a lot of set pieces,” Salgado said. “It was nice to see them attack together as a team.”

The Kits returned in the second half with no less energy—a cross by sophomore forward Bridget Durkin assisted senior forward Jocelyn Leigh’s goal midway through the half, then just 20 seconds later, Leigh paid it forward by assisting Ross’ third score of the night.

“[Ross] gives her all, all the time, for everybody,” Salgado said. “She follows every play, and she has a great shot. It’s nice to see her as a leader [on] the field.”

Whitney Young kept up the fight, scoring with less than ten minutes left in the game, a play that reinvigorated the Kits to return the score directly after kickoff. Sophomore midfielder Shaili Peters closed out the six-goal game for Evanston.

“We have to make sure that we’re staying checked in for the whole game,” Salgado said. “Today, we let in a goal that we should not have. It didn’t make a difference, but down the road it can.”

The regional final title advances Evanston to the sectional semifinal on Tues. 21 against Lane Tech. The match will be held at New Trier at 7 p.m. 

The Kits began the tournament as second seed, behind New Trier, the sole conference opponent to best them during the regular season. Lane Tech, seeded third, provides not only an obstacle to the sectional title but a chance for revenge. The 2022-23 season for the Kits ended earlier than expected with a loss to the Champions in the sectional semifinal.

“[The team] remembers our feelings from the end of last season,” Salgado said. “Hopefully, coming into this game, we’ll have a little bit more preparation.”