Girls field hockey exacts revenge over Latin in opening-game victory

Makayla Clark kicked the scoring off early, while Kits’ defense strong throughout

After girls field hockey fell short in a 2-0 loss to Latin in last year’s final regular season game, coach Annie Lesch emphasized the hunger of her team all off-season coming into game one of the 2023 season, a rematch against the Romans of Latin.

“We ended last year’s regular season in a loss to [Latin]. They’ve been eating at us all year, and the girls came in really hungry,” Lesch said.

In the season opener at Lazier Field on Monday night, the Kits (1-0) left feeling full after completing a 2-0 shutout over the Romans (0-1).

Evanston took control of the game early. Two minutes into the first quarter, senior captain GG Hogan drew a penalty corner, and although the offense didn’t capitalize, it led to a string of shots on goal for the Kits. Senior captain Makayla Clark’s spin-move shot found the back of the net, giving Evanston a 1-0 lead in the seventh minute of play.

“I’m really proud of [Clark’s] efforts on both ends of the field. I think she’s always had the talent but finishing was definitely what she needed—especially in this game, coming off of a loss to them last year,” said Lesch. “It was really [fun to watch] her play so great against [Latin] when they were sending specific matchups to her.”

The Kits delivered a strong second-half performance, securing an insurance goal by senior Stella Holstine after sophomore Bridget Durkin’s breakaway, giving Evanston a 2-0 lead and an eventual victory over Latin. Durkin’s presence in the second half was key to many of the Kits’ shots on goal, with her speed and intensity giving Evanston a clear advantage over their opponent throughout the night. 

“Bridget Durkin is such a fun person to play [alongside],” said Holstine. “She’s so aggressive and has such a good energy that brings the team’s energy up [as well].”

While the Kits continued to work the ball back into Latin’s circle on numerous occasions, it was Evanston’s stellar defensive effort that slammed the door on the Romans. Despite losing top seniors Anna Marks and Sofia Rocca to their respective colleges after last season, current senior co-captains Alice Porter and Julia Newbold effectively filled the gaps in the defensive line.

“Being a defender [requires] a lot of composure, maturity and leadership,” Lesch said. “I think [Porter] and [Newbold] were primed right into those spots. They’re both captains too, [so] it was just a matter of moving them to different spots on the field but they were ready for their [defensive] roles.”

The Kits will next play on Thursday, Aug. 24 in a road match against Francis Parker.