Goodbye Mr. Phillips
Goodbye Mr. Phillips
May 8, 2024
In The Mix: 2024
In The Mix: 2024
Just the Jakes
Just the Jakes
Izabella Paracuelles and Marin Ubersox May 8, 2024

Retiring teachers reflect on time at ETHS: Stephen Dickman

Drew Watson

After over 30 years at ETHS, Stephen Dickman has decided that the 2023-24 school year will be his last year teaching physics as he transitions to retirement. Throughout the many years, Dickman has demonstrated an admirable commitment to physics and his career.

Since the start of his tenure at ETHS, Dickman has been an impactful member of the science department, recognized for his hands-on approach to teaching and casual personality. His students enjoy his demonstrations, and his classroom setup boasts quite a few different kinds of gear and machines.

“[Mr. Dickman is] very laid back and casual,” junior Kaizhi Dorsett said. “He also demonstrates a lot in class; he’ll go to the back and he has a bunch of old mechanisms, it’s all really cool. He has one where there’s a spinning disk, you put little balls on it, and it spins around.”

Dickman grew up in Evanston, and is a 1981 graduate of ETHS. Ironically, he admitted he disliked physics in high school because of its complexity and difficulty; despite this, he has taught physics since 1989 and joined ETHS in 1993. After graduating from college, he worked as a teaching assistant in graduate school and had the opportunity to teach math at a Catholic school on the South Side of Chicago. Although math wasn’t his expertise, he enjoyed teaching there nonetheless. It was this experience that inspired him to continue his career in teaching. 

“I saw it was a very enriching and challenging career, so I chose to get a teaching certificate,” Dickman explained.

Teaching itself has presented some challenges for Dickman, considering physics is a subject that many students find strenuous; he understands that the coursework presents unique concepts that can take a lot of time to sink in for some students.

“Learning physics is a challenge. A lot of students think it’s really hard, and so it’s a challenge to teach [as well],” said Dickman. “Every individual is unique, and I try to service them as best as possible. Everybody learns differently. And that can be hard to tailor lessons for.”

Despite these challenges, he has thoroughly enjoyed many aspects of his teaching career, including his time spent collaborating with colleagues. Additionally, decades of a physics education career has given Dickman many valuable takeaways and memories. The highlight of his career, he said, is seeing students become successful with the material. Above all, he considers his time teaching at ETHS to be an honor; his love for Evanston has fueled his passion and dedication to his career. 

“It’s just been a privilege,” Dickman said. “I love Evanston; it’s been a privilege to live here my whole life.”