Targeted hate speech disrupts Feb. 22 Special City Council meeting

Commenters, later identified as members of a group of radical antisemites, spoke during public comment
Councilmembers suggested an early end to the public comment section. (Courtesy of City of Evanston)

During the public comment section of the Feb. 22 special city council meeting, antisemitic comments, derogatory words and racial slurs were stated repeatedly by multiple civilians.

As the public comment section began, the topics of discussion seemed normal, until one commenter began expressing antisemitic hate speech. Their comment was so derogatory that the administrators of the meeting cut the meeting’s audio for 24 seconds, and Mayor Daniel Biss had to interrupt.

Biss agreed to allow the first commenter to continue as long as they didn’t use derogatory terms, but the comments only worsened after that. Subsequently, Biss told them they had to leave because they defied the previously agreed-upon guidelines.

The next person who spoke during the public comment window spoke through Zoom. Contrary to the first speaker, this speaker used their antisemitic beliefs in the context of the ongoing conflict in Gaza.

Two additional commenters, both expressing similar antisemitic beliefs, followed. Eventually, Biss paused the public comment section because Eigth Ward Alderperson Devon Reid explained that he felt the same comments would be repeated if the public comment section continued. All councilmembers agreed with him, and the public comment section ended early.

Following the meeting, a statement was sent out by city officials concerning the community standards for public comment. 

“There is no place in Evanston for this type of behavior or hate of any kind,” read the statement.

The message went on to explain the implications of the First Amendment and the Open Meetings Act in the situation. It concluded with a request for community members to take positive action in the aftermath of the incident.

“We ask every single member of this community to join us in standing unequivocally against hate, bigotry and bullying so we can build a truly inclusive Evanston that values and welcomes all,” read the statement.

Several days after the meeting, members of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) reached out to City staff after identifying some of the hate speech commenters as being members of the Goyim Defense League, a group of radical antisemites.

Councilmembers plan to discuss new public comment rules at their March 11 meeting.

View Comments (1)
$0
$2000