Sullivan Sisters bring bluegrass to Evanston
Marin Ubersox, In-Depth Editor • February 22, 2024
Actors Gymnasium has served as a core part of Evanstons arts scene since it began 29 years ago.
Evanston's Actors Gymnasium: 29 years of risk-taking, mentorship
Nadira Bumi, Staff Writer • February 22, 2024
On the cutting edge
On the cutting edge
Long before she was cracking up crowds on improv’s premier stage at Second City, Claire McFadden spent her days in Evanston getting her first taste of improv and sketch comedy. (Photo courtesy of Claire McFadden)
Second City's resident 'wild card' puts jokes first
Sam Froum, Arts & Entertainment Editor • December 21, 2023

Downtown Evanston shines bright with Holiday Light Celebration

Eve Abraham
Many trees in Downtown Evanston were enveloped by holiday lights.

As the holiday season approaches, Downtown Evanston organizers plan events to try to bring the holiday spirit to residents. One such event was the Holiday Light Celebration, hosted on Saturday, Dec. 2. People from around the city came for a tree lighting ceremony, drinks and musical performances. 

Starting at 4:30 p.m., the Evanston Children’s Choir performed a set with songs in English and Spanish. Soon after, Mayor Daniel Biss and City Clerk Stephanie Mendoza, joined by actors playing Santa Claus and his elves, welcomed the patrons of the event. At 5 p.m., the headlining tree lighting ceremony took place, featuring a large tree with multicolored lights. More groups of entertainers sang holiday songs while attendees were able to get warm drinks or interact with Santa’s elves. The festivities continued with a mime, a juggler and lots of music as the night went on.

Andy Vick, the Executive Director of the Downtown Evanston Business District, emphasized the importance of making everyone feel welcome in the city. 

“We want to make sure that everyone knows that Downtown Evanston is their place,” said Vick.

Vick has a number of other events planned throughout the year that aim to build community.

“[My work] brings people together, and that’s what we should do all year, but especially during the holidays,” Vick said.

Mellonese Adams, an attendee of this year’s event, is a regular participant in many Evanston festivities. 

For this particular celebration, Adams attended because she “wanted to be a part of what Evanston does with their people and enjoy the season.”