ETHS German exchange program returns after five year hiatus

ETHS’ award-winning German exchange program is back after a five year hiatus due to COVID-19. The exchange program started 30 years ago between ETHS and a school in Heilbronn, Germany called Robert Mayer Gymnasium. What once started as a trip to Germany now has evolved into a program that offers a multitude of multicultural experiences, from ETHS students going to Germany themselves to meeting German students who are temporarily staying in Evanston.

The exchange program requires students to go through an application process. Despite this, there is a chance for all ETHS students taking German to be a part of it.

“The German teachers are really cognizant of it being an opportunity for any of our German students to do. There are scholarships if the needs are there; we are actually one of the cheaper exchange programs at the school. We work really hard to keep those costs low for our students,” said German teacher Edward Gray.

German exchange student Maya Fechtel explained that she was interested in the exchange program so that she could learn about American school culture.

“We can’t use our phones in school. And the school spirit is also different here because everyone in Evanston is at this high school,” said Fechtel. 

This difference, that all students go to the same school, was a major culture shock the German students experienced while at ETHS. In Germany, there is a chance that neighbors might not go to the same school. While that is possible in Evanston, it is certainly not the norm.

Fechtel also reflected on her favorite activities the exchange students have done, one of which being the football games. She especially appreciated the school spirit ETHS has around sports. That was noticeable for Fetchel because in Germany there are no sports at her school. 

For ETHS students, the program is not only an opportunity to meet new people and create friendships, but also to go to Germany at a low cost. In addition, the seemingly large barrier of the interview process did not prove too difficult for many.

“There was a pretty high acceptance rate. There was an interview process where the applicants had to talk to the teachers, and there was an extra teacher present who was unbiased and had not known me before the interview,” said ETHS sophomore Nolan Rowell.

While in Germany, ETHS students will stay with their host families, and shadow them at their school. ETHS students will also be taking a train to Berlin and staying at a hotel overnight. Offering an immersive multicultural experience for students, both ETHS students and staff hope that the German exchange program will continue for years to come.