Evanston’s Starlight series: 25 Years of community

Evanston residents gathered to watch a movie and socialize.

The Starlight event series has been a fixture in Evanston for over 25 years, captivating audiences with a lineup of movies and concerts that start in June and last until mid-October. This City-run event included Tuesday night concerts that hosted local bands, as well as weekly movie showings for members of the Evanston community to enjoy in local parks and greenspaces.

“[The goal of the series is] to do multiple events throughout every ward throughout the whole year,” said Amanda D’Agostino, one of this year’s Starlight event coordinators. “Whether that’s inside at a community center or at a picnic, grassland or playground.”

D’Agostino hopes that by targeting different wards for each event, it will ensure that all neighborhoods have something happening in their local park.

The Starlight Series is more than just entertainment for the community; it’s a celebration of Evanston’s diversity and inclusivity. This month’s event at Elk Park specifically gravitated towards the Latino community for Hispanic Heritage Month. City Clerk Stephanie Mendoza was responsible for planning the event. She brought various organizations such as MetroSquash (a group that aims to provide out-of-school support to students) to set up booths in the park, providing locals with opportunities to connect to different nonprofits. 

With her connection to the Latino community, Mendoza emphasized the importance of diversity within the series. 

“This is our second year doing this event focused on our Latino community. It’s great because I get to work with organizations that I know already have a relationship with the Latino community,” said Mendoza.

The Starlight Series aims to bring friends and families together by forming a sense of community. Marco Barranca, an Evanston resident, has been a regular attendee for multiple years. For Marco, the location at Elk Park is not only convenient; it’s a place where his neighborhood can come together and connect. 

“We definitely get a sense of community. [We see] a lot of familiar faces [and] are able to reconnect with friends and family, and our kids love it,” said Barranca. 

Overall, the Starlight series in Evanston is a celebration of community, diversity and inclusivity. This City-run series aims to be an example of how entertainment can bring people together and foster connections that can last a lifetime.