Girls basketball blows out GBS in conference-opener

Big second quarter, strong second-half zone defense catapulted Evanston Township High School to victory
Ryan Wambo

After losing both games against Glenbrook South last season, girls’ basketball came onto the court Tuesday night looking to reverse that trend. Despite a close first quarter, the Kit offense exploded for 46 points in the final three against the Titans to win their CSL opener, 60-39.

The first eight minutes appeared to show a competitive matchup between the Kits and the Titans. GBS senior Chloe Gonzalez and Evanston senior Zuri Ransom traded buckets minutes into the game, and the majority of the quarter contained back-and-forth points. Both teams were even at 14 when the quarter ended, but the Kits weren’t worried.

Immediately at the start of the second quarter, the Kits jumped out to a six-point lead with a pace that exhausted the Titans. Ransom and senior Kailey Starks meshed well on both sides of the ball and held the visitors to just four points in the quarter while helping to contribute 22 points for the Kits to give Evanston a 36-18 lead at the half. This energy from Evanston’s top guards made Tuesday night in Beardsley Gym a rough one for the Titans. 

“What went well for us today was our energy,” head coach Brittanny Johnson stated. “I think we really got into the game plan. Our biggest goal was to make them uncomfortable and we did a really good job of that.”

“Kailey’s energy was great and she rebounded and shot the ball really well. We’ve moved her to the one which she has never done. I think she was the reason why we played so well.”

The Kits kept this lead throughout the entirety of the game. They capitalized on South’s mistakes and established strong zone defense, inhibiting the Titans from having any real offensive action. Both teams fought hard in the third quarter, but the Kits took a 50-25 lead into the final period of play.

“We gained the lead because of our fitness level. I think they got a little bit tired, and we were able to sustain and really push the tempo,” said Johnson.  “Sometimes, when we get steals, we don’t necessarily finish the play, but today we did a good job at finishing our layups.”

While the Kits continued to score points on offense in the fourth quarter, the Kits shifted their focus mainly to their defensive scheme, preventing the Titans from putting together a miraculous comeback. As the clock ticked down and the Evanston fans grew louder and louder, the Kits worked together to create long offensive possessions and let the clock run out. 

“Last year, we didn’t get to show [Glenbrook South] the type of team we were. I’m glad that with the eight [players] we had, we could all play together [well],” Starks said. “We came in with the right mentality, and were able to trust our small circle.”

After a strong start to the season with newfound confidence, Johnson is looking ahead towards her season goal.

“We are really just focused on conference, since we haven’t won in four years,” Johnson said, “Our goal is to compete and try to win a conference championship, that’s our primary focus.”

Evanston will head to Deerfield to take on the Warriors on Dec. 1 at 5:30 p.m.