Girls soccer takes conference victory against Glenbrook South, stays undefeated at home

Alexis Rogers, Assistant Sports Editor

The Kits entered their second half against Glenbrook South with a 1-0 lead, and within one minute of play, had conceded a goal to tie the match—putting their undefeated home record at risk. Though the Kits had dominated possession for the majority of the game, just one opening in defense made it possible for the Titans to sneak past goalkeeper Ariel Kite and the rest of the team’s back line.

After that first minute, however, ETHS tightened their play back to the standards of the previous half and continued aggressive attacks on the Titans’ defense. With Glenbrook South goalkeeper Lyndsey Mack facing a constant onslaught of shots on goal, it only took one lapse for junior Sydney Ross to secure the winning score.

Thanks to Ross’ heroics, Evanston took home the victory on Tuesday night over Glenbrook South, 2-1.

Ross, along with senior captain Adriana Merriam and sophomore Mia Darer, had applied essential pressure near the opposing goal throughout the game, leading to multiple close calls and near-scores that couldn’t quite finish.

“We didn’t finish all of our opportunities, so it was closer than it probably should have been,” says head coach Stacy Salgado. “We did possess most of the game, using our strengths with finding that ball out wide.”

Several opportunities for Evanston (9-1-1, 2-0 CSL)—such as a slow-rolling ball that was cleared inches from the goal by a Titan defender—had been so close that spectators were calling for a review. Two shots hit the crossbar, and one required a mid-air diving save by Mack. Ultimately, it was Ross that solved the puzzle that was the defense from GBS (5-8, 0-1).

“I could see the keeper was off her line a little bit,” Ross says. “I knew that if I could get it just over her head, it would go in.”

The other ETHS goal-scorer of the game, Adriana Merriam, played an exceptional night, displaying speed and power unmatched by any other player on the field. Taking advantage of a gap in the Titans’ back line in the first half, Merriam scored a hard-won point for the Kits off a cross from senior Shayna Da Silva.

“Adriana showed up big today,” says Salgado. “And then we had Sydney Ross, who had an amazing finish. Shayna [Da Silva]’s distribution was great. Overall, it was a team effort. We worked the ball around quite a bit. Everyone was very involved, for sure.”

Before the match, athletes welcomed teachers onto the field for Teacher Appreciation Night, recognizing their impact and drawing many to stay and watch the game.

“It’s been fun to see the students do something different,” says math teacher Avani Khandar, who accompanied Maddie Ball. “I usually just see [students] in the classroom, it’s nice to see them on the field.”

Fellow math instructor John Mickelson—invited by senior Anna Bergmann—agrees, saying that “it’s very meaningful if a student takes the time to express appreciation.”

Though the Kits remain undefeated at home, they experienced their first loss of the season on Saturday against Lyons. The challenging match gave the team an edge while facing Glenbrook South.

“We struggled with switching the field and seeing those opportunities on Saturday,” says Ross. “We worked a lot on that in practice yesterday, and it was good to see it translate today.”

The team is on the road for their next two matches, and the back-to-back away games may prove a trial for the Kits. They will face Maine South on the 20th and Vernon Hills the 21st before returning back to Lazier to face longtime rivals New Trier.

“I’m hoping to get a good rotation going to get some fresher legs in these [away] games,” says Salgado. “We’ve seen [New Trier] play, and they’re a solid team, so we’ll have to make sure that we’re prepared. It’s nice that we’re home for that game and can bring a good crowd and good energy.”

Many players, like Ross, are ready for the New Trier matchup, which will be on Tuesday the 25th. Often the toughest match in the Central Suburban League, a loss to New Trier stopped the team’s playoff prospects short two years ago, but last year they managed to defeat the Trevians to continue into the state semifinals.

“I’m really excited,” says Ross. “They’re always a fun game to play, especially at home, and we’ve got our fans. We have our turf. It’s a home field advantage.”