Girls volleyball keeps matches close, can’t close in end-of-season contests

SONY+DSC

SONY DSC

Christopher Vye, Sports Editor

It was a tough season, to say the least, for girls volleyball. Between a 10-26 record and zero conference wins, it’s easy to think of how it could have been better. So instead, let’s focus on what went well. 

Most of Evanston’s losses could have easily gone the other way—it wasn’t as if the team was getting blown out every day. In the final playoff game against Fremd, the first set came down to a two-point margin. Unfortunately, the Kits lost it 25-23. In the game before that against Niles West, the second set not only came down to a two-point margin, but also went into extra points. Again, the Kits lost narrowly, 27-25. And on top of that, it was the same story two days prior in the first set against Glenbrook North, where, once again, the Kits just barely fell short, 26-24. So many individual sets came down to just a handful of points. There wasn’t a single team that walked all over the Wildkits.

With six seniors—Carter Aaron, Claire Henthorn, Meg Houseworth, Sophie Lechleitner, Jessica Sehgal and Maya Valentine—all graduating this year, you can expect to see juniors Isa De los reyes, Emma Philibert and Annika Stewart, as well as sophomores, Gillian Colledge, Lina Hauser, Sofia Lindroth and Kylie O’Connor work their way into the Wildkit’s starting lineup.

Assistant Coach Michael McDermott comments on the legacy of this senior class.

“They’re a real special group,” says Assistant Coach Michael McDermott. “They have a great sense of community and have established a really good new culture for our program. When they leave, they’re going to leave a real positive impact with the rest of the girls.”

Time will certainly tell.