Girls cross country looks to have promising seasons ahead

Christopher Vye, Sports Editor

Similar to the boys team, ETHS girls cross country is exceptionally young. In fact, four of the top five finishers at Sectionals were underclassmen.

All together, the Kits ended up 12th at the Hoffman Estates Sectional on Saturday Oct. 29 with 301 points, just one ahead of Glenbrook South and seven behind Lake Zurich. Just like on the boys side, it took 213 points or less to qualify for State as a team. 

Individually, the Kits were clearly divided into two packs. One was clustered just under the 19-minute-mark and the other under the 21.  Evanston’s top finishers were sophomores Stella Davis and Sammy Schuneman, who took 34th and 37th respectively with times of 18:53.83 and 18:57.42. Not far behind them at all was freshman Rory Malia in 18:59.90, good for 41st.

Senior Ella Gutierrez was Evanston’s next finisher, ending up 109th in 20:41.45. After that, sophomore Talia Wisely took 117th in 20:51.01 and freshman Sam Caldwell took 118th in 20:55.79. 

To make it down to State individually, 18:42.92 was the time needed. While Davis may have come up eleven seconds short, her PR still stands at an 18:41.3 from conference last year, so there’s no doubt she can make it—it’s just a matter of performing when it matters most. And with Malia and Schuneman’s both having proven they can do this, running lifetime bests at Sectionals by more than ten seconds, the next couple of years are sure to be exciting ones for EGXC.