Bellios’ qualification for State serves as highlight for boys golf season

Christopher Vye, Sports Editor

Between State champions New Trier, third place finishers Glenbrook North and fourth place finishers Glenbrook South, ETHS is in perhaps the toughest sectional for boys golf in the State. Last year, however, Evanston was lucky enough to be placed into a sectional without any of those schools, and largely because of that, the whole team qualified for State. It was the first time that had happened since 2013. But come back to 2022, and you’ll find things pretty much the way they always are. E-Town was stuck in its usual sectional, and on top of the three aforementioned teams, there was also Loyola Academy to deal with. As a result, the orange and blue settled for just fifth place.

“In just about any other sectional, they would have qualified for State,” says Athletic Director Chris Livatino.

That being said, things weren’t all bad for boys golf this year. By shooting a 73 at Sectionals, senior Ryder Bellios qualified for State, made it to day two, and ended up 54th overall. And at Regionals, freshman standout Kieran Low shot a 71, just one shot over par, to become Regional Champion. Something that no ETHS student had done in at least fifty years, Low did as a freshman. And while his score of 79 at Sectionals just barely kept him locked out of State, with three seasons left as a Wildkit, the sky’s the limit for what he might accomplish.