Boys hockey continues thrilling season

Chloe Haack, Staff Writer

Boys hockey is one of the most successful fall teams this year. With a 6-2-1 record so far, the team is on the path to a historic postseason, even with tough opponents in the games ahead. 

“Hopefully, we can carry the momentum we have right now through the duration of the long season we have,” junior goalie Owen Destefano said. “There is always room for improvement, but this year we are staying positive.” 

They can attribute some of that momentum to junior captain Campbell Wagener. With five goals and three assists in just eight games thus far, Wagener’s contributions have been eminent this season. His team first mentality aligns with the whole team as well. 

“There’s been a lot of instances where you can see that we all have each other’s backs,” Wagener explained. “In our third game, I got hit high and had to get 10 stitches, and later that night, I opened texts from every member of the team making sure I was okay. We are a family.” 

The family atmosphere isn’t just limited to the ice. It translates into the crowd too. Robert Crown Ice Arena, or “the BOB” as students have dubbed it, is the home ice rink for boys and girls hockey at Evanston and it’s almost as popular as Lazier on game days. 

“The energy in the BOB is one that no other team in the state has. The support from the community and all the students who come to the games is truly special,” Destefano said. “Playing in front of all those people is a very amazing feeling. It’s an unreal experience.” 

Wagener, however, takes playing at the BOB as an opportunity to stay humble — something the team has emphasized since day one. 

“I know since freshman year I have always had an edge when playing in front of the crowd we get at the BOB,” Wagener said. “But our team comes first, we play for each other, not the crowd.” 

With their familial team chemistry and blaring home crowd, boys hockey will be a team to watch in the January postseason. Their next home game is November 11 at 8 p.m. at the BOB against Lake Forest, where the Kits look to improve their record to 7-2-1.