Boys cross country sprints into strong playoff finish

Jared Tucker, Staff Writer

The Evanston boys cross country capped off the regular season on Sep. 19. Even though they did not go down state, the Kits had a tremendous season, and a lot of promise for the future. 

“We’ve been seeing improvement by everyone,” senior captain Max Peterson said. “What you define as success is improvement and we’ve been improving tremendously, our underclassmen have just been doing a great job.” 

Head coach Don Michelin was overjoyed with the results of the past season. 

“This is one of the best teams we’ve ever had, even if the results weren’t the best,” Michelin said. 

Michelin is especially proud of the seniors that matured  and took action this season. 

“We had some leadership step up and steer the team in the right direction,” Michelin explained. “They built a really strong foundation for the [future] of the sport at ETHS.”

Peterson was content with the team after the regular season and ecstatic about the success of the underclassmen, showing great potential for the future. 

“The freshmen have been doing a great job and I can’t wait to see what they do when I’m in college,” Peterson said.

Some key matches throughout the season for the Kits were the quads against teams within the conference and of course, the regional and sectional postseason races. The kits qualified for sectionals after placing 4th in regionals. Peterson placed 2nd with a time of 15:24.

“I was way more confident going into this race than I was at conference,” Peterson said. “[I] felt a lot better while running too.”`

Unfortunately, Evanston did not qualify for state but they still were able to make it to sectionals and tie the bow on another good season.