Soccer looks to prove themselves against Loyola tonight

Lia Kelly

Junior midfielder Calista O’Connor looks down the field to pass.

Chloe Haack, Staff Writer

Correction: The printed version of this article included the incorrect time of the game tonight. The home game against Loyola is at 6 pm.

After a sectional semifinal loss to end last season, the girls soccer team aims to build upon the success led by experienced talent.

Seniors Hadley Bushala, Annika Destefano and Keara Kerr, all college commits, are looking to lead the team into a successful postseason run.

Last year’s 11-8-3 record proved to not be enough to earn the team a sectional championship spot, as a 3-0 loss to New Trier ended their season on game short of the title game. However, redemption is on everyone’s mind.

“We are focusing on putting equal emphasis on every game, no matter the team, and are looking forward to playing [New Trier] again this year,” co-captain Annika DeStefano said.

The team will play the Trevians at Lazier Field on April 30, just one game on the grueling schedule the Kits face, including games against Loyola —who went 19-2-4 last season— and trips to the North Shore Invite and the Naperville Invitational tournament.

The team is driven to increase their camaraderie, especially between the various grade levels on the team. Being a captain, DeStefano strives to create an inclusive culture within the program.

“I hope to show the underclassmen, especially the newcomers on the team, how special it is to play for your high school,” DeStefano said.

Sophomore Ryann Lucas will make the position switch to offense this season, after spending a year on the defense for the varsity squad her freshman year. Through this change, the team hopes to utilize Lucas’ quickness and skill with the ball to jump start the attack for the beginning of the year.

While most may think that having a 50/50 split between underclassmen and upperclassmen would give the team a disadvantage, senior captain Kat Sehgal knows the team can use it to help intertwine the ages further.

“We are also trying to get rid of some of the cliqueness that we’ve had in previous years and have everyone on the same page,” Sehgal said. “I really hope that I can help everyone get more comfortable on the team to the point that we all trust each other on and off the field.”

Evanston currently holds a 2-0 record as they beat both Lakes Community High School and Niles North.

A 3-0 win to open the season against Lakes was highlighted by a shutout from goalie  Sylvi Imrem and goals from Freshmen Carly Menocal, Brealyn Viamille and junior Callista O’Connor. Last Saturday, the team picked up their first conference victory, defeating Niles North 2-1.

Tonight, the team will face off with Loyola at Lazier Field at 6 p.m.