Goodbye Mr. Phillips
Goodbye Mr. Phillips
May 8, 2024
In The Mix: 2024
In The Mix: 2024
Just the Jakes
Just the Jakes
Izabella Paracuelles and Marin Ubersox May 8, 2024

Kupu Sumi | Mastering the art of travel

Coming from a 5-member family with one car and a bad history of stolen bikes, I have mastered the art of both long walks and the CTA. Half of my elementary school memories consist of the views from wide eyes staring outside the red line. Morse, Jarvis, Loyola, and so on, as my little sister and I accompanied my parents to their college classes in the city. From our Rogers Park Apartment to our 800-square-foot rental in Evanston, the train opened up my world. As my mom recalls, we were never loud or fussy during the hour-long journey; instead, we were always ready to say hi to the passengers next to us, unafraid to start a game of tic-tac-toe with anyone willing to challenge us. As immigrants, we had grown up learning to look at everything with independence and curiosity, aware of all the diverse experiences around us and yearning to learn about them. That starry-eyed mentality would go on to high school, ready for a new world to travel.

Eventually, our dad bought a broken-up 2004 Toyota sedan. Wind-up windows, a broken blinker, and 5 seats; It was perfect. Our train riding days soon came to an end, and trips to Devon and the Robert Crown for soccer were made with my dad commandeering the front seat. A couple of years later, I was a teenager needing to get to violin rehearsals, extracurriculars, and concerts. Entering high school, I had learned how to do schoolwork and found my love for music and math, but I was now ready to step into a world of opportunity and independence. After promising my mom a phone call every 20 minutes, and a promise to babysit my brother after, I found my 14-year-old self again on the red line I’d known so well as a little girl; only this time I was alone on my way to CYSO Rehearsal. 4 years later, I´d say I´ve had enough experience to pass on advice to students like me. For anyone also wanting to begin or refine their public transportation experience, here’s what I deem necessary to prepare you to become an expert train-goer:

Your bag. Any medium-sized tote bag, cross-body, or secure backpack will do, however my favorite is the Uniqlo round mini crossbody bag. Make sure it’s sturdy and can sit comfortably on your shoulder or back without causing any strain– a couple of half-hour trips can add up on your shoulder. Of course there are some materials to bring alongside it. I personally have a folder with sheet music, a pencil for annotations, two pens and one Tombow Fudenosuke, a $10 bill, a copy of Good Omens by Terry Pratchett, and a notebook. While the other belongings can be adjusted to your needs and hobbies, never forget the notebook. Good for getting last-minute MV homework, a doodle for the kid next to you, or a last-minute Hartley essay done, the extra weight is worth the hassle.

The second essential is a good navigation system. While a loyal Apple Maps user, Google Maps’ ability to share routes makes things like the New York Public Restroom map possible, as well as other benefits through its shared map route function. Whether winging a last-minute ride to an event and checking the quickest route, or planning a trip and seeing what time you have to leave by, Apple Maps has you covered. Don’t put yourself through the disappointment of seeing the last purple line train for the next 20 minutes leaving as you walk into the station. Along with helping you get where you need, It’s always handy to see what else is around your destination, in case you need a sweet treat or a place to study after.

The key to making any journey enjoyable is your mindset. While the train might not be most favorable for people who like consistency, I embrace the controlled chaos that is bound to ensue each time I step on the Howard Station platform. For example I’ve built Insane core strength trying to hold my violin standing up during rush hour, passengers pointing to my case and asking, “Is that a guitar?” I’ve slowly pushed the boundaries on where I can visit, taking my little sister on trips with me to Chinatown or my 8-year-old brother to his own violin lessons. Aside from a few unpleasant encounters, public transportation creates an environment where people from all backgrounds around the city convene, whether they’re going to rehearsal, heading to work, meeting a friend, or finding a safe place to rest during the day. When you learn to appreciate it instead of face it apprehensively, theres a lot to enjoy and learn from.

From early days of wonder looking at the cityscape, to mastering the art of solo train rides to rehearsal and beyond, every trip has taught me values of independence and other lessons. Similarly, high school was another 4 years I learned to take steps of growth in order to thrive. As students, we are all passengers getting off at different stops, looking for opportunities to explore. By embracing the opportunities that come our way, we’re doing more than just getting from point A to point B– opening a gateway to so many meaningful experiences in between.