Pathways to Early College Forum informs prospective AP students about benefits, drawbacks of college level courses

Ruby Dean
The student panel was made up of 13 student members of teamASAP.

On Dec. 6, a forum informing current students and incoming freshmen on AP opportunities took place in the ETHS auditorium. This event, dubbed the Pathways to Early College Forum, hosted over 100 people, the majority of them being freshmen. The forum started with a video of Superintendent Dr. Marcus Campbell, who informed the crowd that ETHS is bringing even more dual credit courses (courses that are linked with Oakton Community College) for next school year, continuing to expand options for ETHS students to receive college credit.

Taya Kinzie then welcomed the crowd, and talked about the importance of awareness, access and success in AP courses. She also shared positive statistics on ETHS’ progress with early college classes, including that in the last five years, ETHS has seen the highest levels of access and success in AP and dual credit classes in the history of the school.

“Access to college level courses and earning credits is not the only benefit of these courses. It can also give students an early start on career planning,” said College and Career Coordinator Beth Aery. “Early college programs have numerous positive effects on students.”

These effects include more focused career pathways, improved academic performance, potential college savings and college access and readiness.

Later on at the forum, Dale Leibforth, Math Department Chair, then talked about different AP course options before welcoming 13 students to the stage. Juniors and seniors Isabella Martinez, Abigail Buell, Miigis Curley, Moni Adeosun, Katalin Maji, John Gemmell, Jacques Philippe, Elijah Horek Gualtier, Omar Hasiba, Sophia Robles, Tehtina Tsedeke, Audrey Cline and Charles Settimi spoke at the forum. All the speakers were a part of teamASAP, an organization founded in 2011 by Leibforth and Aery, which was created to encourage more students of different races and ethnicities to join AP classes.

“When I started here at ETHS, I noticed that my AP Chemistry class was predominately white,” said Tina Lulla, an AP Chemistry teacher who also helps with teamASAP. “I feel it is important to constantly have the conversation about race and equity in AP classes.”

Over the course of the forum, teamASAP student members provided advice and answers to the questions posed by prospective AP students. When asked about the difficulties of AP classes, a common theme among the student answers was practicing good self discipline.

“In my experience with taking my first AP class, it was a pretty big difference at first,” said forum member John Gemmell. “I found that in AP classes the workload is a lot more. The biggest difference was learning accountability and learning time management for myself.”

Other students added to Gemmell’s words.

“I play volleyball for the school and I also play for a club all year round,” said Audrey Cline, another forum member. “Having a planner or having a set schedule for when you’re having practice or tournament days, balancing your sport and your homework is tremendously impactful for time management.”

Finally, students also highlighted the passion necessary for taking AP or dual credit classes.

“When you’re signing up for AP classes, the hardest class you’re signing up for should be the one you’re most passionate about,” said Isabella Martinez, another student participant. “It makes it a lot easier when you’re passionate about the subject.”