Aug. 28 City Council meeting addresses plastic bag ban, public transportation improvements

During the Aug. 28 Evanston City Council meeting, council members discussed many different items, such as plastic bag usage in Evanston businesses, public transportation improvements, and animal shelter renovations. The start of the meeting included a comment from Mayor Daniel Biss to celebrate the 34th anniversary of the Children’s Advocacy Center of North and Northwest Cook County.

City Manager Luke Stowe began the conversation of plastic bag usage by talking about a business in Evanston that purchased a year’s worth of plastic bags last summer. The business purchased the bags before any of the discussion surrounding banning plastic bags had happened. They still have many more months of usage of said plastic bags, but currently can’t use them as a result of the Aug. 1 ordinance that banned plastic bag usage in Evanston. Eighth Ward Councilmember Devon Reed argued for potentially allowing exceptions to the law while businesses get rid of their current supplies of bags. Other council members disagreed, arguing that the law should be enforced regardless of the situation.

Following the discussion on plastic bags, the conversation moved to transportation. The CTA transit stops and PACE bus lines are used by many Evanston residents, including college students, high school students and commuters to work. City Manager Stowe announced plans to sign a contract with Terra Engineering, who would provide services for transit stop improvements that will help riders in the future.

Another topic of discussion was the Evanston Animal Shelter, which is currently undergoing renovations that will lead to improvements for the shelter and its inhabitants. However, there were concerns raised during the meeting about delays that were caused by the lack of availability of electrical equipment, which is adding more time to the project than the city anticipated. Nothing conclusive was decided at the meeting, so the issue will have to be addressed in the near future.