Remembering ETHS: Lisa Walter

Avi Shapira, Staff Writer

Since January 2001, Lisa Walter has been a school nurse. An ETHS alum, she has spent nearly 25 years among the ETHS community as a student and on faculty and loves the way the community seems to care about each other and how “the students are so connected to ETHS.”

“They [the students] are always gonna feel proud about being a Wildkit and that they got their education at such an amazing place,” Walter said.

Following her retirement, Walter is going to miss a variety of things from working at ETHS, specifically her coworkers and the students she interacts with every day. 

“Working at a high school is a really vibrant community. Teens have so much energy that they bring to the building every day,” Walter said.

Over the years, Walter has collected countless memories of her time at ETHS that she will remember forever. Most of all, Walter said she will cherish her memories of chaperoning the Adventure Ed camping trips in the fall and spring. 

[Those trips are] one way I’ve gotten to know students outside of the nurses’ office. I’ve really enjoyed that time and those weekends with the kids, getting to know them in a different environment,” Walter said. “When students come to the nurses’ office, they’re usually not feeling so great, but on the camping trips, especially around the campfires at night, students really opened up and shared their feelings which is a super unique experience.”

Walter is excited about the new opportunities she will get to pursue following her retirement. Mostly, she wishes to travel and to spend time with her kids and grandkids. She also said that she would like to get more involved in volunteer work, including being a volunteer nurse for places that need help.