English teacher seeks future in counseling

Eden Drajpuch, Staff Writer

Although some may know him as the English teacher who wore an orange pantsuit every Friday, Fred Schenck is better known for loving his students.

“Having taught here for 25 years, I can tell you that I taught no student more than the students taught me,” Schenck said. “Every year, I learned something from students. And in that sense, it was the greatest job ever.”

Schenck was not only passionate about his students, but; he was a huge advocate for racial equity within the building, and he inspired his students to advocate for what they wanted to be changed.

“If you [the students] ever believe that this institution [ETHS] is judging you, call it out. But call it out from a place of love,” Schenck said.

Schenck always made sure that his students knew that ETHS was built for them and designed to help them succeed. He did his part by loving his students like his own children.

“I was driven by a love for students. I was driven by a love for the people I was talking to,” Schenck said. “I mean, I got to sit with young people who are the future. Sitting in the room with the future, you come to realize that I wasn’t molding the future, that the future was molding me.”

After 25 years of teaching English classes, Schenck hopes to become a CADC [Certified Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor]. His passion to become a counselor is driven by his love of helping and supporting others.

“I want to help people who think that they’re bad trying to become good realize that they’re just sick people trying to be well,” Schenck said.

Schenck will be dearly missed in the ETHS community, and the effects of his advocacy will be felt long after he moves on. He helped inspire his students to advocate for themselves, and his love for them was his favorite part about his job.