Goodbye Mr. Phillips
Goodbye Mr. Phillips
May 8, 2024
In The Mix: 2024
In The Mix: 2024
Just the Jakes
Just the Jakes
Izabella Paracuelles and Marin Ubersox May 8, 2024

Retiring teachers reflect on time at ETHS: Teresa Granito

Drew Watson

Teresa Granito, an ETHS biology teacher, is retiring after 30 dedicated years of service. Granito, who started teaching at ETHS in 1993, has taught all levels of biology, from AP Biology to Earned Honors Biology classes for freshman and sophomore students. 

Granito has wanted to be a teacher ever since she was in kindergarten, though it wasn’t until high school that she decided she wanted to teach biology specifically.

“I took biology in my sophomore year. I loved my class, I loved the content and I loved the teacher. I knew that that was the kind of teacher that I wanted to be,” she said.

Indeed, when she finished high school, Granito went straight to Loyola University, where she studied biology, knowing that she was going to become a teacher upon graduation.

“When I am excited about content, I want to share it,” Granito said when asked why she decided to teach. “I like the creativity and lesson planning [of teaching],” she added.

Though she is excitedly anticipating the new freedom her retirement will bring, ending her teaching tenure is also bittersweet for Granito. 

“I am sad that I’m leaving something that I’ve done for thirty years. [Something] that I love. I’m not leaving it because I don’t love it; it’s just time,” she said.

Appending this statement, Granito said that some of her fondest memories from her teaching career include when her colleagues nominated her for the Teacher Excellence Award, which she describes as a “big achievement.” Moreover, Granito says that her son graduating from ETHS was also a monumental occasion, and that she loved that he was at ETHS while she was too.

Another aspect of teaching that Granito enjoyed were her students and the relationships she developed with them.

“The kids are savvy. They’re just sharp kids. Challenging, in a good way. They’re not going to tolerate a lesson that isn’t good. I think that makes you a better teacher,” she said.

Granito also enjoyed working with her fellow biology and science teachers.

“My colleagues are the best. It’s what made it wonderful here,” she said.

In her retirement, Granito plans to travel the world; notably Italy, but other countries as well. As an Evanston resident herself, she also plans to spend time on the city’s beaches.