Q.U.E.S.T., Latinx Staff Caucus hosts Latinx heritage celebration

Maia Roothaan, Staff Writer

ETHS celebrated the end of Latinx heritage month last Friday with a family event to honor Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). The event was hosted by Latinx Q.U.E.S.T. and the Latinx Staff Caucus.

“It helps students feel visible. It lets them know you’re a part of this community; we care about you,” history teacher and Q.U.E.S.T. sponsor Estefanie Ithier said.

In previous years, the celebration was small without many student performances. This year the event was met with enthusiasm from students and staff.

“This year we did have students who were interested in performing and we had arts and crafts, so it’s like a whole family event,” Ithier said.

Students and staff performed traditional Latin American dances, songs and rituals alongside local Chicago artist Nahui Ollin. Ollin is known for performing pre-Columbian Mayan dances aound the Chicagoland area.

“My favorite thing is doing this; wearing our quinceañera dress because it brings back all the good memories and all the good parties that we had together,” junior Latinx Q.U.E.S.T. member Alex Graham said.

Latin American food was served after the performers and attendees had the opportunity to participate in traditional crafts in the lobby outside the auditorium.

Several club members were adamant that the celebration be as diverse and inclusive as possible. They want to share their culture with all of Evanston, not just those who identify as Latinx.

“We want to be as inclusive as possible when it comes to Latino culture,” senior class chairperson of Latinx Q.U.E.S.T., Kimberly Velazquez said. “It’s not just Mexican [heritage]. It’s Puerto Rican and Ecuadorian cultures.”