Sept. News Briefs

Louise Bond, Rebecca Lustig, and Mac Stone

Back-to-School Updates: Testing Center & Free Access to The New York Times

By Rebecca Lustig

ETHS opened the Testing Center this year to allow students to complete missed quizzes and tests, or to finish extended-time assessments. The Testing Center is open on Mondays and Fridays, 7:30am-4:00pm, and Tuesdays-Thursdays, 7:30am – 4:30pm, minus 7th period. Students can pre-register for a test on the ETHS website.

Students can now access The New York Times for free without logging in when connected to ETHS wifi, due to The New York Times’ goal to provide K-12 students access to their website.

Data will not be collected on the browsing habits of students unless an account is used. “I’m open to any newspapers that wants to do that; it doesn’t have to be the Times,” David Chan, Instructional and Informational Technology Director explained.

AMIGOS names ETHS 2018
recipient of Global Citizenship Award

By Louise Bond

ETHS recently received the AMIGOS Global Citizenship Award. The Award was given to ETHS for its commitment to Spanish language, effective community service, past program participation and teaching students how to be impactful leaders.

“Our students are not only prepared academically and socially when they leave our school, but they are prepared with a vision of what the world is and what the world needs,” Spanish teacher Fernando Campos explained.

“It’s opening doors for our students and providing more students with more opportunities,” World Languages and Bilingual Education Department Chair, Rachel D’Onofrio, said.

AMIGOS, originally founded to administer polio vaccinations, now works to empower and educate youth through service trips and cultural immersion experiences across Latin America.

“The AMIGOS program is historically a program that many Evanston teenagers have partaken in for many years,” Spanish teacher Nicole Lane said.

Parent Summit Registration Open

By Louise Bond

On Saturday, Oct. 13 from 8:30 am – 1:30 pm, parents and caregivers will have the opportunity to participate in discussions and workshops to contextualize how race and privilege function within ETHS. The first Parent Summit is also aiming to create a more inclusive and accessible space both in the school and in the larger community.

After the participants sign in and attend a presentation and workshop, they will have a choice between taking part in a student, faculty or administrator-led activity. The student facilitators will lead a 75 minute activity that will engage parents in a conversation about racial equity. Parents will learn about student involvement and actions at ETHS so they can understand the steps students have already taken to create change and equity in the school.

In an effort to make the Parent Summit accessible to all, the school is providing child care for the children of attendees, ages 3-13. There are 300 registration spots available for any person, 25 or older, who plays a significant caretaking role in the life of an ETHS student.

OCC strengthens ties with ETHS

By Mac Stone

In an effort to provide students interested in Oakton Community College (OCC) with more resources, OCC Recruitment & Outreach Specialist José Rodríguez will be working at ETHS in W220F every Monday, starting Sept. 24. Rodríguez will be at ETHS to help students who are interested in applying to OCC through the application process.

“[Rodríguez] will be working with students who want to know more about Oakton but might need a little bit more hands on support with the application process,” post-secondary counselor Michelle Vazquez explained.
While Rodríguez will only be at ETHS every Monday, other faculty members will occupy the space for the rest of the week.

About the Writers
Louise Bond, Staff Writer

My name is Louise Bond, and I’m a sophomore at ETHS this year. I am excited to be a part of The Evanstonian, because I think it is important that people’s stories are told. Outside of The Evanstonian, I am one of the leaders of the Civic Engagement Committee in the Community Service Club. I am also a part of Women’s Empowerment Club. I love reading, public speaking, and talking about politics, social justice and equality.

Rebecca Lustig, Staff Writer

Hello, I’m Rebecca Lustig, a junior staff writer, and I am very excited to be writing for The Evanstonian this year. I am involved in other school activities such as the ETHS Speech and Debate team and playing flute in band. I enjoy following the news, discussing social justice issues, painting, reading and learning about random historical events.

Mac Stone, News and Copy Editor

Howdy! My name is Mac Stone, and I am the News Editor and Copy Editor for The Evanstonian, as well as a senior here at Evanston Township High School. This will be my third year on The Evanstonian staff and my second year writing for the news section. Before starting news my junior year, I wrote for feature. In addition to being a part of The Evanstonian staff, I am also a student ambassador. In the future, I intend to continue studying journalism in college.