Kit career day opens new doors for students

Students listen to a presentation in the Hub.

Mac Stone, News Editor

In an effort to provide students with potential career options, College and Career Services will host the annual Kit Career Day in The Hub next Wednesday, Nov. 8.

The event will run throughout the school day and will have speakers from various professions talk to students about their jobs and their career pathways.

“There is a reason for each of the chosen careers,” Post-Secondary Counselor Michelle Vazquez explained. “All of them relate to ETHS students in some way.”

During periods one and two, the Evanston Fire Department will come to discuss careers in Fire Science and EMT, as well as share stories from on the job.

Additionally, the Evanston Police Department will stop by third period to talk about career in Law Enforcement and Public Safety.

“It’s not my desired career path but they do provide a valuable service,” junior Dylan Kull said. “I think the police department take a lot more criticism than the fire department but they’re both important. They both perform equally valuable services for our community, and it’s important people know about them.”

During fourth and fifth period, representatives from the local GAB Radio Network will come to talk to students who could be interested in careers in Communications and Radio.

“Many students may not realize that there is a local Evanston radio station,” Vazquez explained. “It’s great to have people who are experienced to come and talk to students about what that career is like.”

During periods six and seven, representatives from Symbol Training Institute in Skokie will speak about careers in Manufacturing and Computer Numerical Control Machining. The Symbol Training Institute is a CNC training school that offers hands-on CNC and advanced manufacturing learning programs.

“Symbol Training Institute offers a tuition free training program, meaning it’s completely free to be trained in manufacturing and CNC machining,” Vazquez said. “It’s a great program, and it’s important that students know about this career pathway.”

Finally, the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM) will talk about potential careers in the Fashion and Apparel industry during periods eight and nine.

“FIDM came last year and they were a hit with students,” Vazquez explained. “So they’re going to come back this year and talk about potential opportunities in the fashion industry. It isn’t just about the people making the clothes, it’s about all types of jobs in that industry. It could be about the people designing the clothes or selling the clothes, for example.”

Juniors and seniors who wish to attend Kit Career Day can sign up via Naviance. College visit rules apply.

Additionally, freshman and sophomores can attend during their free periods. They can also attend if they go with their class.

Teachers are invited and encouraged to register their classes to go to Kit Career Day, sign ups are accessible through http://tinyurl.com/KCDReservation.