Empty Bowl continues community tradition for 16th year

Amissa Page, News Editor

To raise money for local soup kitchens and increase awareness about hunger in the community, culinary and ceramics students will team up with the Community Service Club for the 16th annual Empty Bowl event on Dec. 7.

“Empty bowl started as a senior studies project 16 years ago and has become a tradition,” Community Service Coordinator Mary Collins said. “It brings people together for a good cause in a social setting.”

Empty Bowl will take place in the South Study Cafe during lunch periods, allowing students and staff to purchase lunch made by culinary students for $5. It will also offer lunch and a bowl made by ceramics students for $10. This is the third year students can pay with their SNAP accounts, so students don’t need to have cash on hand.

This year there will be two new soups added to the menu along with the same options from years past. There are vegetarian options along with plenty of bread, fruits and desserts to make the event inclusive to everyone.

Collins added that students have been preparing for Empty Bowl for months. The Community Service Club and students in ceramics have been planning and making bowls since the beginning of the year. Culinary students have also been practicing and exploring new recipes.

The event raises money for Soup at Six, A Just Harvest, Hillside Food Pantry, Campus Kitchens and Interfaith Action Committee. The money made during the event will go to local food pantries which serve underfed members of the community. Last year, the event raised over $5000, all of which went to local kitchens.

“Every soup kitchen will have an information table at the event,” Collins said. “Students talk to organizers and learn about volunteer opportunities.”

According to dosomething.org, 1 in 6 people in America face hunger, 1 in 5 for people under 18, and the 40% of food being thrown out could feed 25 million Americans. Through Empty Bowl, students work to decrease these numbers in our own community. The tradition of Empty bowl has created a community space where people can get together to help out less fortunate members of our community by eating a good meal. It also gives our fellow students the opportunity to showcase their cooking and art skills.

“Empty bowl makes a big school a little bit smaller,” Collins said.