It’s a 3D world as art become three dimensional

Paige Robinson makes final touches on a project

Miyoki Walker, Entertainment Editor

Some art classes fall flat, but not 3D Design.

AP 3D Design is a class focused on sculpture and ceramics. Students who have experience with either of these subjects can join to complete biweekly projects and concentrate on one idea through art making.

“There’s an experience of delving deep into a concept,” Petra Maton, sculpture and graphics teacher says. “Students often don’t get the time to explore a subject. We’re always looking to give kids an opportunity to work further.”

The class is new to the art curriculum, which stems from student interest. In previous years, very few students submitted AP portfolios for the class. Since then, interest in the subject has increased. There are currently 18 studio art courses available and the selection is still growing.

“In the past we haven’t had enough students to field a stand alone 3D course,” Maton says, “But since we’ve added Ceramics 3 a few years ago and Sculpture 2 last year, more students are hitting the upper levels of work.”

Students enrolled in the course get to experience how a college level art course is conducted. The year is spent creating a three-part portfolio, where every piece of art is critiqued and submitted as a final project.

Art courses like 3D design can offer many skills, some of which are not exclusively related to art.

“The course teaches an extended knowledge of the principles of sculpture, such as positive and negative space, form, balance, movement and rhythm,” Maton says.

Students follow an advanced curriculum where they are expected to do hours of work outside of class. Students also spend their second semester working on a “concentration,” where they make several pieces of art that surrounds one concept.

“Depending on the size of the project, we have five to seven hours of work to do at home,” says senior Jordan Wallace.

The hard work does not come without reward. According to the Do Something Organization, students who take art classes are four times as likely to be recognized for academic achievement and attendance.

In addition to the many benefits of taking studio art courses like 3D Design, the course offers college credit for those who plan to pursue art after high school.

“I plan to take AP Design because I’m interested in sculpting and creating three dimensional art,” junior Henry Abarca says.

The AP College Board site has sample portfolios and syllabi that can be used as an introduction for what will be expected of students in the course. Ceramics, sculpture and metal sculpture classes also serve as prerequisites to the course.

There are also many opportunities to experience the course outside of the class. Students can visit during open studio hours to develop their skills further. Ceramics club also runs Tuesdays after school.