Tennis Travels to Oak Park-River Forest

Tennis Travels to Oak Park-River Forest

Joey Eovaldi, Sports Editor

Making a racquet.

Tomorrow girls tennis hopes to dominate this season and start it off right with win at Oak Park-River Forest.

Since the Huskies beat the Kits 7-1 last year, this year’s team is out for revenge. Sophomores Valerie Abushevich and Margot Connor both played on varsity last year as freshmen. Abushevich is known as someone who can deliver. Connor has both a strong backhand and a forehand. Also, the doubles team of seniors Kiersa Berg and Kathryn Halverson will bring the experience that the Kits need.

“Last year was probably the best performing team – deepest and best at the top as well. This year’s team will again rank high compared to previous years,” Joyce Anderson said. “We have a lot of promising younger players and some great returning seasoned leaders.”

Girls tennis lost six important seniors last year, but looks to bounce book with players like their senior captains Kathryn Halverson, Berg and Katherine Mann among others including, nationally ranked junior Anastasia Goncharova and sophomore Connor.

After placing fourth in their conference the past couple of years, they know that they have a tough road ahead with rival teams like New Trier, Niles North and Maine South.

Anderson said that Evanston has a two solid and strong double teams with sophomores Connor and Abushevich, as they have been playing together during the offseason.

“Now that Valerie and I have done some tournaments during the offseason, I think that we are going to do really well,” Connor said.

Also, Halverson and doubles partner Mann have strong serves and are great at the net.

“Our coach Joyce has helped to make our team very strong by helping us work on our competitive edge,” Halverson said..   Halverson and the rest of the tennis team really look up to coach Joyce, who played tennis on the D1 collegiate level for four years. Also, coach Joyce has such a love for the game so she works to pass this on to each and every team member.

First mission at OPRF: Shut the Mutt up!!!