Freshman Merriam nets hat trick in girls soccer’s rout of Niles West

Two games into the season, the Kits have yet to allow an opposing goal.

Coming off a dominant 5-0 win against IC Catholic Prep on last Monday’s season opener, the Kits came out strong once again against Niles West on Saturday– a team that Evanston beat 365 days earlier by five goals. This time around, the Kits showed off their new talent, with freshman Alexandra Merriam’s hat trick that paced the Kits to a 7-0 win. With the victory, the Kits improved to 2-0 on the season.

“[This game] was fun. Merriam scored the first hat trick of the season and we formed lots of great connections,” Evanston head coach Stacy Salgado said. “We moved the ball well and our shape allowed for some great goals.” 

Merriam picked up an assist just six minutes into the game, finding senior Sydney Ross who struck the back of the net to put Evanston up 1-0. From there on, the Kits took off and never looked back. After a few attempted shots and a save by senior goalie Shea Lucas, Merriam scored the first goal of her own off a penalty kick. The offense didn’t stop there, however. Senior Jocelyn Leigh scored to give Evanston a sizable 3-0 lead. 

“There were a lot of team goals,” Salgado stated. “There were a lot of assists or a lot of crosses that you know players are finishing. There were a lot of great combinations.”

Just over three minutes after Leigh’s third goal, sophomore Bridget Durkin joined in on the fun and changed the scoreboard to 4-0 going into halftime.

The teamwork and combinations that Salgado reflected on continued into the second half. Merriam scored two more goals, achieving the first hat trick of the season. The final goal, assisted by senior Jilian Denlow and scored by Ross, sealed the win at 7-0.

The Kits will look to continue this win streak against St. Ignatius on Tuesday, March 19 on Lazier at 7 p.m.