In Senior Night loss, girls hockey still gives ‘110 percent’

Photo courtesy of Jessica Sehgal

Jessica Sehgal, Executive Editor

Going up against Glenbrook—a team that ETHS girls hockey has matched up twice before with, one game resulting in a loss and the other a tie—already evoked pressure on the Kits Saturday night. On top of that, it’s Senior Night and the team’s down three regular players: an intimidating combination that the girls were ultimately unable to overcome.

Starting off in the first period, Glenbrook scored their first goal just four minutes in. Following the goal, the Kits fought back hard, often finding themselves on the defensive end more than offense, but their defense proved to be successful, not letting in any other shots for the rest of the period. 

The early minutes of the second period illustrated an even match-up between Evanston and Glenbrook, with each team presenting strong offensive moves and even tougher defense. Seven minutes in, sophomore Kenedi Mrozik scored Evanston’s first goal, tying the game up. 

“After Kenedi scored, this place erupted, and that was awesome to see. It’s always good to see people coming out and supporting the girls, so that was really fun for us,” notes head coach Dakota Gaudet.

However, this even score didn’t last for long; with two minutes left in the second period, Glenbrook scored a second time, and a minute later, they scored again, leaving the score at 3-1, Evanston down, going into the third period.

The third and final period of the game looked nearly identical to the first, with Glenbrook scoring three minutes in. Although the Kits put up a strong fight, their efforts were not represented on the scoreboard, showing a final score of 4-1, Glenbrook’s victory.

“We played a really good game. We were down a few players, but we still played really hard, we didn’t let it get to us, and we gave 110 percent the whole game, and that’s all you can ask for,” shares senior captain Emma Barker.

Alongside Barker, three other seniors are graduating from the Evanston Hockey girls program this year: Camryn Faude, Emily Felts and Eve Thiry. 

Tonight, girls hockey faces Lake Forest High School away at 8:30. Don’t miss out!