Veteran leadership key in boys lax team’s success

Senior+Will+Downie+and+Freshman+Zach+Myers+scrimmage.+
Senior Will Downie and Freshman Zach Myers scrimmage.

Litzy Segura

Litzy Segura

Billy Krupkin, Sports Editor

While the boys lacrosse team has had to adjust to an unforeseen coaching change this season, the program has stayed locked in thanks to guidance and leadership from the senior class.

“These kids could run the team themselves, they don’t need coaches,” coach Rob Fournie said. “There are proven leaders, and often the biggest leaders are my best players.”

After the program parted ways with previous coach Justin Porter due to stipulations in IHSA rules, the Kits turned to Fournie, the former JV coach, to lead the team this season. Having coached many of this year’s players as early as third grade, Fournie’s team has a lot of chemistry from years of playing together.

Coach Fournie is really a player’s coach,” senior attackman Joey Fitzgerald said. “He loves to hear our input and work with us. There’s a very laid back relationship between the players and coaches, which allows us to have a great culture in which we have fun while working towards our goals.”

This year’s team features 16 seniors, including Division 1 commits Jacob Griffin (Richmond) and Isaiah Ricketts (Canisius), whom they rely heavily on, in addition to the 12 underclassmen.

The three captains (seniors Jacob Griffin, Isaiah Ricketts, and Quinn Farragher) have done a great job making sure that everyone is in line and portraying the program in a respectable manner,” senior defensive midfielder Kofi Hopps said.

Looking to build upon their recent success with coach Porter, the team believes they have a strong foundation that will allow them to continue challenging the top competition in the state.

“The culture of the program is changing for the better,” Fitzgerald said. “We have all the tools in place to make a playoff run this year and to establish ourselves as a top program for years to come.”

The team is currently 5-1-1, and faces non-conference opponent Lake Zurich tomorrow at noon on Lazier Field. The Kits look to continue their offensive habits, averaging 10.7 goals per game, as they take on a formidable foe.

The Wildkits aim to bounce back after Monday’s 7-5 loss at New Trier, a game which ended with a scuffle. Trevian players took offense to an aggressive defensive effort from sophomore Charlie Rodriguez, leading to a series of punches, headbutts, and jersey tugs being exchanged between both squads in the final minutes of the contest. Senior Quinn Farragher was handed a one-game suspension for his role in the brawl.

About the Contributors
Billy Krupkin, Sports Editor

As a senior, this is my second year writing for the Evanstonian. I play baseball and run cross-country, and also participate in a variety of other groups and clubs here at ETHS. While writing for this publication definitely requires time and effort, it is absolutely possible to participate in a variety of clubs and activities as well. The Evanstonian has allowed me to explore many of my interests through an investigative lens, and has also helped me understand the value of quality journalism in the digital age.