Boys cross country competes for CSL title tomorrow

Chris Werner, Sports Editor

Most ETHS students were not even alive the last time boys cross country won a Conference championship in 2000, but that could change tomorrow.

“This season our team has been completely consistent,” coach Don Michelin Jr. said. “They’ve been doing what you would want a team to do and that’s drop their times gradually as the season progresses.”

The Kits have been impressive this year notching a ninth place finish out of 19 teams in the first race of the year followed that up with a nineteenth place finish out of 47 teams in their next meet. They also won their first CSL quad meet against Niles North, Maine South and New Trier.

The team has used yoga to help them with focus while they are running the course.

“We’ve implemented yoga,” Michelin said. “I knew it would be a major player in us being consistent and doing what a normal team should do, get better as we move into the postseason.”

The team will have to contend with multiple talented teams within the conference if they want to earn the CSL crown.

“Obviously the team we’re shooting for is New Trier,” senior Logan Singer said, who ran an impressive time of 15:52.0 at the Red Devil Invite earlier this year. “Maine South also has a good team this year and even Glenbrook South. You can’t count them out so you have to stay vigilant because a lot of teams have a chance to win it.”

Both Evanston and New Trier will come into the meet with impressive 5-1 regular season conference records.

The meet will be held at the Vernon Hills Athletic Complex course. Evanston didn’t run this course last year, but Michelin believes that it might hold an advantage for his ETHS.

Only one week after the CSL meet, the State playoffs begin. The team plans to use the results from the meet tomorrow to help prepare.

“We want to attack the Conference meet and use that as a confidence booster for the next few weeks,” Singer said. “There are more teams and it’s more competitive. We will use the meet tomorrow to show us that we have a chance.”

Singer believes that the competition within the team this season should pay dividends as the end of the year approaches.

“In practice, we want to beat other people on the team,” Singer said. “We’re always trying to improve and move up in the rankings. Nobody is satisfied with where they are.”

After Conference, meet the State run begins on Oct. 21 at the Regional. If the team continues to advance, the Sectional will be on Oct. 28 and State finals will be held on Nov. 4.