Boys soccer launches 2017 campaign against LFA

Senior Miguel Jimenez dribbles down the field against Maine East.

Charlie Gruner, Sports Editor

One more win.

After two consecutive seasons of losing in the ‘elite eight’, one game away from state, boys soccer wants to get that last W to achieve soccer glory. That all starts with a non-conference matchup with Lake Forest Academy tomorrow at 7 p.m. at Lazier.

“LFA is a team that will take advantage of our mistakes and they’re very aggressive, so we need to possess the ball for the majority of the game in order to have success,” senior Miguel Jimenez said.

Tomorrow, the boys soccer team will look to create some early season momentum against Lake Forest Academy, an above average team whom they beat last year by a score of 3-1.

This year’s team is filled with seasoned veterans.  They have seven returning starters that all have one goal in mind.

“My number one goal is to make it down state and take home that championship,” Jimenez  said. “With this group of guys that we have on this team, it is certainly possible.”

Last season saw the boys soccer season end with a crushing 2-1 loss to Barrington in the supersectionals.  Their strong core of seniors does not want this to happen again.

“It’s especially heartbreaking that we have lost in the supersectional game at the same stadium two years in a row,” senior Colin Thompson said. “That fact is what has driven our team to really want that supersectional championship. To surpass what we couldn’t achieve the two previous years.”

The Kits are returning 7 out of 11 starters from last year’s team that lost at Barrington, including Jimenez, a three year starter on varsity, and who was recently named to Prep Soccer Report’s Top 40 Illinois Boys Soccer watch list. But Jimenez is not the only superstar to watch this year.

One player to watch is Nathan Pollack.  Pollack did not play for the high school team the past two years, but he is expected to make a big impact.  Pollack will provide some great offensive power to complement the likes of Thompson and Jimenez.

There are also a strong group of first year varsity players coming in such as junior Ben Sollinger and senior Isaac Diop.  They will contribute to breaking the “supersectional curse”.

“The past two years, we didn’t even talk about going to state until we made the playoffs,” Jimenez said. “But this year, coach Calixte brought it up to the team on our first day of practice and told us to envision it. So now we have a definitive goal to work towards this entire season.”