’03 grad takes over soccer

Freshman Callista O’Conner winds up for a shot

Jesse Heuer, Sports Editor

New leadership.

After graduating in 2003 with a state championship, Stacy Salgado, the team’s assistant coach for the past two years, takes over as head coach for girls soccer.

“I’m very excited for my new role. It’s really good to be back,” Salgado said.

Coach Maurizio Grillo stepped down after four years of coaching in order to pursue a college level coaching job. Grillo raised the standards at ETHS and brought back the respectable reputation they once had in the early 2000’s.

The Kits finished last season with a 19-4-2 record. They played in their first sectional final since 2005 along with beating New Trier, the two time defending 3A state champions, for the first time since 2002. They ultimately wound up winning the Central Suburban League South for the first time since 1999.

“We showed that we could compete with the best teams in state, including New Trier,” senior captain Maia Cella said. “We plan on only pushing it further this season and I think we really are capable of getting a state title if we work hard enough and really want it.”

Although they lost a considerable amount of talent from last year including six starters, there is no shortage of girls to take their place. Cella, University of Wisconsin commit and PepsiCo Showdown Tournament MVP, will lead the team along with junior co-captain Ruby Siegel. They’ll be backed by a very strong group of underclassmen including sophomore midfielders Annika DeStefano and Keara Kerr, both of whom started as freshmen.

“I am very confident that our underclassmen will be able to step up and fill the needed positions. We will find a way to keep up the skill level and competition,” Cella said.

According to Salgado, the squad has a difficult schedule this season including a very early matchup with local powerhouse and rival Loyola. Following that, they will travel to Green Bay during spring break to play two teams from Wisconsin.

“I think the girls are ready for it. We ended last year really strong, so we only want to move forward from there,” Salgado said.

According to topdrawersoccer.com, the Kits are ranked 8th in Illinois going into the season, and are ready to fight to keep and improve this ranking.