Goodbye Mr. Phillips
Goodbye Mr. Phillips
May 8, 2024
In The Mix: 2024
In The Mix: 2024
Just the Jakes
Just the Jakes
Izabella Paracuelles and Marin Ubersox May 8, 2024

Hazel Hayes | The pros and cons of a high school coffee addiction

Throughout my middle school years, any time there was the sound of the coffee machine whirring in the kitchen or the smell of espresso wafting through the air when my dad walked through the door, I always found myself begging for a sip. I think at this young age, I was infatuated with the drink because of the mature stature it held and how I wanted to seem older and more responsible to my parents. My connection to this drink led me to apply for a job at the coffee shop that my dad and I frequently visited in our neighborhood. I started working there the summer after freshman year, and over time, gained lots of knowledge on coffee craftsmanship. I learned the difference of how beans are harvested and roasted, how to tell the certain notes apart from one another and got to experiment with which flavors go well together and which need to stay apart (but to each their own). After working there for the past three years, it feels like I practically have coffee in my veins, but I often hear pushback on high schoolers drinking coffee. So, here are a few pros and cons that I have come up with.

PRO #1: The caffeine that comes in coffee allows those who drink it to get through those tough mornings, or in my case, tough post-school afternoons.

The post-school slump is something that I feel–from observation and personal experience–most people struggle through, whether you have to go to a sports practice, a different activity or just need to focus on homework for that night. The act of getting coffee before starting the second half day fills the air with potential and productivity.

CON #1: The amount of money that I have spent on lattes the past four years is absurd.

The average cost of a small latte would be around five-ish dollars at a local coffee shop. But with Chicago nearby and preppy suburbs surrounding us, the prices of these lattes skyrocket, where anywhere else I am paying six to seven dollars just for this drink. On average, I would say I drop nearly $35 on coffee a week, which added up throughout the whole year is ridiculous and honestly laughable.

PRO #2: The socialization aspect of coffee shops. They are calming places to go and study and do homework.

Although the Evanston and surrounding coffee shops are bustling with people at all times, if I have the luck of finding a place to sit, these spaces really motivate me to get my work done. Some people like the library or working from the comfort of their own home, but I have found that I get the most done when I am around people that are working as well. In these environments, with the chatter around, I find it easier to set my phone down and focus. When I try and do homework a

CON #2: Sometimes coffee can cause me to spaz out/not make me feel like myself.

This doesn’t happen often, but there are those days when espresso really hits the system and I turn into a different person. In these situations, I really regret my decision and think I will never drink coffee again, but after the effect wears off, I come to my senses once again.

PRO #3: Brings joy to my day. It’s about the simple things in life.

Everyone has things in their life that they do to bring them joy. The act of going to get coffee makes me feel more productive in my day and ensures that I accomplished something, even if that means spending money on an overpriced drink. Personally, I will still take that win.

CON #3: The relaying aspect, feeling like it’s a need in your life when it really isn’t.

Obviously I don’t NEED coffee every day after school, but when I have gone through life with a routine of picking up this drink at some point in my day, it becomes something to look forward to, and I am sure others can relate.

Now, maybe in my later years of life, I will be like my dad, drinking decaf on doctor’s orders. But as of right now, in my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons, so I will continue to spend this insane amount of money on a drink but it really is worth the cost of easing my mind.