Evanston activists rally for women’s reproductive rights, call for action in wake of Roe v. Wade reversal

On Oct. 15, at noon, activists gathered at Raymond park to participate in a pro-choice rally. This event, one that has been in the works for years, was organized to advocate for the belief that all women should have the right to make their own decisions about their reproductive health. The primary objective of the rally was to get people to commit to pro-choice by supporting active pro-choice organizations. Noted public speakers were present, including Mayor Daniel Biss, State Representatives Robyn Gabel and Laura Fine and Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky. 

The creator of this Evanston rally, Gretchen Brewster, came up with the idea after Roe v. Wade was overturned in court last year, eliminating a woman’s Constitutional right to abortion. While abortion is still legal in Illinois, many states in the U.S. have implemented their own laws restricting abortion access.

The word I use to describe our present reality is insanity. Women’s right to choose has been effectively removed in many states, and it is devastating,” said Brewster. “Abortion bans significantly impact all women, but primarily, women of color.”

To assist in efforts to organize and implement the rally, Brewster hired special events planner, Kemone Hendricks, owner of Mari Enterprise.

When the crowd gathered at Raymond Park, speakers presented their ideas, and musicians performed their protest-related pieces. Kristin Lems, an Evanstonian who is a folk-singer and activist, was among the performers. After the performances, participants started marching.

While abortion rights have been a well-discussed topic in the past, Brewster hopes to continue that discussion, especially the impact of abortion restrictions on women of color.

“This year we are going to make some noise,” said Brewster.