Meg Houseworth

Winner: Joy Yee

January 27, 2023

Whenever I want something affordable, delicious, and filling, I turn to Joy Yee Noodle. The small building on the corner of Chicago and Davis is a warm welcome with its bright green walls and tall windows.

For starters, I’ll have the Joy Yee Lunch Special, or JLS. This deal is life changing. One of Joy Yee’s big fans is senior Quintin Nguyen, who says that, “[The JLS] is the best bang for your buck meal out there. You get so much quality food for a pretty good price”. For $9.95 (some dishes are $10.95)  you get a dish filled to the brim with your meal, whether it be fried rice, a variety of chicken, or even pad thai (amongst many other options). The meal comes with a sizable egg roll, and a small soup. It gets my mouth watering just thinking about it. 

In addition to their meals though, Joyee is renowned for its drinks. Whether you find yourself drawn towards Milk Tea, a Fresh Fruit Freeze, or a Fresh Fruit Tea, you can’t go wrong here. The freezes are served with incredible efficiency (I’ve had a turn-around time of less than a minute), and the fruit flavor POPS. It’s not some watered down slushie with a dash of syrup. This is the real deal. It’s as if the fruit itself gifted you its glorious flavor on a silver platter. When combined with the boba, or popping jelly, you get a powerhouse drink. The milk teas are also incredible. It’s a silky delight, a cold refreshing drink that side-steps the oft-overpowering sweetness of its fruit counterpart. 

The service is also crucial. The time between ordering and picking up for take out is usually less than twenty minutes, and it’s always convenient. Nguyen says that,“ [The staff] are very nice, and always get the food out quick”. 

Whether you’re in a time crunch or just craving that delicious meal, Joy Yee’s service will never let you down. Kind workers and simple, eye-catching decor propel the appeal of the quaint noodle place. Delicious food, unique drinks, and stellar service really cement Joy Yee as one of the best restaurants in Evanston.