Risin’ into Fall: Boys Golf

Michael Barthelemy, Sports Editor

The ETHS boys golf team hopes that their newly found depth will propel them to new heights and push the team to state competition.

Unlike years past where the team felt reliant on top players to perform, this year there are a plethora of players the team anticipates will contribute.

“This year, I think we have a lot of depth. We have a lot of guys who can go low on any given day,” senior Jack Skidmore said. “Last year, it was more top four or five guys, but now everyone can play well.”

Golf is a sport that is largely dependent on individual performance, often times resulting in a player feeling like they’re alone on the course. When a player makes a mistake, it can be difficult to shake off when you have nobody to discuss it with. 

To combat this reality, the team often is interactive with one another, amounting numerous small actions to create a sense of togetherness.

“We often see each other on the course and wave and ask how each other are doing. So you never really feel alone, and typically the kids from other schools are really nice and you can find something to talk about,” junior Tejas Baichwal said.

No matter how individually reliant a sport may feel, teamwork is still vital for success. Even though each member of the team is fighting for their own score, spreading the idea that they are contributing to a common goal can create a closer team culture.

“It’s tough [to feel like a team] because it’s so individualistic, but I feel like at the end of the day it’s a team score. It’s high school versus high school,” Skidmore explained. “So we need everyone on the team to do well, and multiple individuals to do well in order to win.”

The Kits will continue their search for a historic season against Jones College Prep at Wilmette Golf Club on Aug. 27 at 4. p.m.