New wave of swimmers look to find success at sectionals

Jonah Charlton

Senior captain Halley Seed swims the freestyle.

Michael Barthelemy, Staff Writer

Evanston Girls Swimming and Diving is looking to make a splash at their upcoming sectional competition, despite their lack of experience at that level.

“We have a lot of great 9th and 10th grade swimmers who are competing at a very high level right now,” head coach Kevin Auger said.

The sectional team will consist of the top two swimmers within each event, a top relay and the two top divers on the team. Divers junior Jamie Otwell and senior Lucy Hogan will be competing, as well as senior swimmers Hana Weber, Halley Seed, Cassis Tingley, junior Lane Raedle, sophomores Mackenzie Tucker, Caroline Chapon, Sam Rhodes, Natalie Long and Erin Long, in addition to freshman Lily Consiglio and Annika Macy.

Despite the large number of freshmen and sophomores, the team holds a strong amount of confidence in their underclassmen. Throughout the season, these young swimmers have shown a high level of play, resulting in a second place title in the conference.

“I’d say our young swimmers this year are killing it,” senior captain Hana Weber said. “It’s super awesome to see all of them do so well in their first years of high school and it makes me excited to follow all of them throughout the years and see how they grow as swimmers.”

The team has been shattering records all year. For three weeks straight, sophomores N. Long, E. Long, Rhodes and Tucker broke the Sophomore 200 free relay. This type of success has led to a lot of excitement for these swimmers, as they are able to perform mightily at a high level.

“Beating records helps me set goals for myself and give me more confidence,” Rhodes said.

While the newer members of the team may be receiving a large amount of attention, the upperclassmen have not shied away from the spotlight. The seniors on the team have been essential to the success of the squad, serving as leaders near or far from the pool.

“We always approach it with the older kids have a responsibility to teach the younger kids what to do at each level, how we prepare, and how we get ready for each meet,” Auger explained.

Even though the seniors have a responsibility to mentor the younger members of the team, it does not mean that they aren’t friends. The team has proven to be close group, with many becoming friends throughout the season.

“The girls are extremely supportive of one another,” Auger said. “It’s one of the most close knit teams you can have, especially considering that we have 100 kids on the team.”

The dynamic between ages has led to a fantastic overall season, as the Kits fell only four points shy of conference title, losing 454-450 to New Trier.

Sectionals will be held tomorrow at Glenbrook North High School. The diving competition starts at 9 a.m., followed by swimming, starting at 1 p.m.