Boys’ golf hopes simple mindset leads to success in the home stretch of season

Senior captain Tommy Barbato tees off at an early season tournament.

Ellie Garry

Ellie Garry

Michael Barthelemy and Eli Cohen

Keeping it simple.

With a group of golfers new to the varsity level, it has been important for the team to emit confidence. Golf is a mental sport, making a sound mindset key to success. The team’s new mottos have made them stronger on and off the field.

“We are trying to embrace a ‘better today than yesterday’ approach,” coach Jed Curtis said. “We are going to try to get a little bit better, evaluating against ourselves and thinking about our score versus somebody else’s. If we can stay in the moment and play shot for shot, we’ll be okay.”

This way of thinking has greatly benefited the team and has kept players focused on their own game.
“I just like to have no expectations, and no limitations either. I try to think positively,” junior Jack Skidmore explained.“It definitely helps and it allows me to play my best.”

Skidmore produced the team’s best round of the year, putting up a tremendous score of one under par 34 at Wilmette Golf Club against Niles West on Sept. 4.

The team’s light and free mentality isn’t exclusive to the course. The team has been able to grow a strong bond outside of the school, as many of the golfers are close. Having so many friends to turn to on the team has led to overall success.

“Whoever you’re paired with when you’re playing a match, you’re likely to have a good relationship with the other person, and it’s really helpful to have somebody that you can talk to during a round,” senior captain Tommy Barbato said.

Although each golfer competes individually, everyone still rallies around each other to support their squad.
“We definitely want to see our teammates play their best, because at the end of the day, those are your boys. If you play better individually it well help the team out a lot,” Skidmore said.

The team looks to end the season on a high note, with their last regular season tournament coming tomorrow at the New Trier Invite. After the invite, the Kits’ top individual golfers will start their post-season run at the IHSA regional tournament.

About the Contributors
Michael Barthelemy, Staff Writer

My name is Michael Barthelemy, and I am a junior at ETHS. This is my first year on The Evanstonian staff, and I will be working as a staff writer. Outside of The Evanstonian, I am on the bowling and tennis teams, and I am a Student Ambassador for ETHS. I am very interested in all types of sports and the outdoors as well as world history. I am excited to join the newspaper, because I am interested in journalistic writing and spreading news to the community.

Eli Cohen, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Eli Cohen. I am a sophomore and a staff writer for The Evanstonian. My focus is on sports writing. I am a Cubs fanatic. I am excited to pursue a career in sports journalism.