Fallin’ into season: Girls Volleyball

Jonah Charlton

Senior Maya Mahoney serves to opposition.

Chloe Haack, Staff Writer

After a historic 2017 season, Evanston’s girls’ volleyball team is looking to build upon that strong foundation with a new emphasis on “teamwork.”

“I truly believe that everyone has something to contribute on the team and everyone has a very important role,” coach Liz Brieva said.

Along with teamwork, the squad has multiple themes for the season including comradery, serving the community and “no regrets”.

“No regrets. That’s our motto this year. We don’t want to look back with regret,” Brieva said. “We want to be able to look back and be proud of what we’ve done.”

The team intends to leave a lasting impression not just on girls’ volleyball at ETHS but in the Evanston community at large. In addition to teaching volleyball to elementary school students, they have also made plans to start a league for middle school girls to introduce them to the sport as well as ready them for high school play, in order to reverse inequities that have been seen in the program.

“Whether it’s money, rides, or even time, not everyone is fortunate enough to play for a club team,” Brieva said. “So, our goal as a coaching staff is to build a middle school league at Fleetwood-Jourdain, [one of Evanston’s community centers], starting this summer.”

The teams are not only in a convenient location for players but are taught by the varsity volleyball squad.

The team hopes to create a tradition of volleyball this year and make history; making sure they are still reaching for the stars when it comes to their aspirations for the post-seasonpostseason.

“While it’s nice to have a winning record and a chance to go far in playoffs, we are looking forward to setting the tone for future generations of Evanston girls’ volleyball as a positive and enjoyable sport,” senior Anna Henthorn said.