Opinion | How school doesn’t teach you stuff for the real world

Opinion | How school doesnt teach you stuff for the real world

Rocco DiPadova, Staff Writer

Up until high school, I always overheard upperclassmen and my siblings say, “I wish school taught us important stuff.” I always wondered what they meant by that, but the older I got, the more I realized how true that sentiment is.  The things you need to know after graduation equate to more than just learning the ABCs, Pythagorean Theorem and the Periodic Table. High school should help you learn things to make the transition to college and the “real world” easier. So, how does school help teach students for the ‘real world,’ and what could ETHS do to make the transition easier and less stressful for students? 

Senior Emma Barker explains that, although ETHS has prepared her academically to start college, there are still gaps with preparing for the ‘real world.’

“In my opinion, there is no way to fully prepare myself [for the real world,] just because it is such a big change from what I am used to, but academically ETHS has set me up for success.” Barker says. “And leaving home, I think I am prepared, but not because of what ETHS has provided me.”

Although Barker does feel prepared, that preparation isn’t exactly due to ETHS. Thus, ETHS should put more curriculum to help students with the “real world”. 

“I think ETHS could do a better job at making students more aware of the adjustments they will have to make in their daily life, whether they are small or large, and help provide strategies of how to do so successfully. College and post-high school life is about much more than just learning, and I think ETHS should assist with all aspects, rather than just focusing on applications and academics,” Barker elaborates.

This means that ETHS needs to add more components for seniors to help them with the big change. ETHS should consider adding courses for seniors that will make the transition easier.

Alumni Liam Riefke explains that ETHS lacked in preparing him for college life.

“College teaches you adulting skills, and it is up to you to make sure you’re setting yourself up for success,” Riefke notes.“I think ETHS should have implemented college-like situations and principles into classes to get students accustomed to college life. I will say, overall, ETHS does prepare students a pretty fair amount.” 

Ultimately, one can see the good and bad in a situation of ‘school doesn’t teach us stuff for the real world.’ There are many ways ETHS can improve: building predatory work into the curriculum and informing seniors of what college life is like. On the other hand, we also see ways that ETHS is helping students—support and counseling for all students to help them make the big step. ETHS does a good job, but there is much needed room for improvement.