Treat summer like summer

Junior Hadley Bushala cuts her summer short to help with freshman orientation.

Callie Grober, Opinion Editor

The time between school years was sometimes called lazy summer, but now it feels more like crazy summer.

Students often load up their summer schedules with sports, summer school, jobs or camps, which can all be very helpful and enriching in their own right, but also put a lot of pressure on students.

A 2014 study done by the American Psychology Association found that some high school students experience more stress than adults but are more likely to underestimate the effects it has on their physical and mental health. Many students and parents believe participation in as many activities as possible over the summer is imperative for success. This competitive mentality causes more stress for students and leaves them feeling like they’re carrying the world on their shoulders.

Additionally, overloading your summer schedule can keep you from enjoying your summer because students are so stressed about all the activities they’re doing. It takes away from other important parts of the summer,like spending time with family or friends.

Summer stress can also affect the upcoming school year. If students are feeling overwhelmed over the summer, those feelings may not only continue when the school year starts, but could also be exacerbated by the large amounts of school work high school students face. In a New York University  study, 49% of the high school students felt high levels of stress on a daily basis during the school year. The study also explored various coping mechanisms high school students use. Many students used strategies such as exercise, talking about their stress, or listening to music to combat the problem, however over two thirds of the students also said they used drugs or alcohol as a stress reliever. 

As the evidence above shows, students are under a great deal of stress during the school year between schoolwork and extracurricular pressures, so to avoid burnout during the year, students should use the summer to relax, instead of piling on more stressful activities.

Additionally, instead of trying to pile on extra classes, volunteer work, and sports over the summer, students can try lessening that load and spend more time relaxing.