ETHS Empty Bowl fundraiser raises over $3000 for local non-profits

Ceramics donated by Evanston artists and ETHS students went up for silent auction. (Courtesy of Community Service Club)

The 24th annual Empty Bowl was hosted on Wednesday, Dec. 6 during both lunch blocks. The fundraiser, known for selling soup and hand-made ceramics, raised over $3,000 for local non-profit organizations focused on food security. A few changes were made to the event this year, as it was new Community Service Coordinator Erin Claeys’ first year organizing Empty Bowl.

“The biggest change is that it was in West Cafeteria. Empty Bowl has been going on for over 20 years, so it’s been a bunch of spaces. But this year, we did it in West. And that was exciting,” said Claeys.

ETHS Nutrition Services provided the soup for the event. (Courtesy of Community Service Club)

Along with the new space, student planners stepped up their game with a theme for the event, ‘Enchanted Forest.’ West Cafeteria was decorated with green tablecloths and the occasional hanging vine around a large tree centerpiece with plenty of open space to walk through and view the ceramics.  The theme also helped energize efforts to spread word about Empty Bowl throughout the school.

“I know that a lot of people came this year compared to last year, which was probably the best part,” said ETHS sophomore and student organizer Isaiah Turk. “This year, we kind of ramped up with the marketing, especially on Tuesday Tidbits.”

Students and staff participants obtained their soup by handing in tickets after scanning into the event, a payment method differing from the cash used last year.

As always, the ceramics were the stars of the show, with a range of plates, bowls and more up for silent auction. Most of the ceramic creations were donated by community organizations, but student work was also for sale with prices varying from $2 to $10. 

“[The ceramics teachers] have been doing weekly pottery sessions [and] we got a ton of donations from local artists with a wide range of skill,” said Claeys. “We got a ton of student pottery from Robert Crown and the Evanston Art Center, along with some really, really beautiful pieces from people who have devoted much of their life to ceramics.”

The student body jumped at the chance to volunteer, with 40 people helping during lunch blocks and many more helping plan, publicize and decorate, making Empty Bowl a true community event.

“When I was younger my family used to volunteer for Connections for the Homeless, now, Empty Bowl is a good way to raise money for more charities I really believe in,” said student volunteer and senior Sydney Hletko.