Central Street Evanston’s annual Halloween event draws large crowds

Hannah Cervantes
Parents and children gathered at Independence Park along Central Street to take a break from trick-or-treating.

On Oct. 21, Central Street Evanston, a nonprofit organization that manages the shops that make up the Central Street Retail District, held its annual Halloween event, Central Street Trick or Treat. Children from all over Evanston flocked to the fall themed store fronts, eager to show off their new costumes and collect sweets. Participants were able to trick-or-treat along most of the retail area of Central Street, from Mustard’s Last Stand on the east end to Mack’s Bike & Goods on the west end. 

Over the years, the number of businesses participating in the event has grown, along with the number of people that attend. Many children and their families also spent time in the parks along Central Street, particularly Independence Park.

For many businesses in the area, the event provided an opportunity to market their fall-themed wares.

We had hundreds of kids come through our store and some even left with a little extra present that their parents purchased from our Halloween display,” said Paper Source store manager, Kate Everly.

A key factor in the event was the makeup of the community surrounding the stores along Central Street. Many young families live in the surrounding neighborhood, making the Halloween event especially popular.

“The community surrounding the Central Street business district is family-friendly, so this particular event is a great way to engage families and draw extra attention to the area,” said Angela Shaffer, the Community Director of Central Street Evanston and organizer of the event.