Community unites for successful Step Up for Recovery fundraiser, exceeds donation goal

Mayor Daniel Biss spoke at the event, hosted by PEER Services.

On Sept. 30, people gathered along the lakeshore for the Step Up for Recovery event, an annual fundraiser for PEER (Prevention, Education, Evaluation, Recovery) Services. This nonprofit is based on the northern side of Chicago, and aims to help both teens and adults that have struggled with drug abuse. They also give annual presentations to ETHS students during gym periods about the dangers of early drug use.

The fundraiser centered around a mile-long stroll along the lakefront. There were also brain-teaser games and snacks. Over 200 people attended the fundraiser, including Evanston city government officials. Mayor Biss, along with other activists and organizers, made an appearance, giving a talk on drug awareness in the city.

The event was run by a large group of volunteers, who organized the walk and the other activities for the day. Some other organizations were also there, such as Paws for Patrick, a foundation that uses therapy dogs to help people struggling with anxiety and other mental illnesses.

Paws for Patrick, an organization that specializes in therapy dogs, had a booth at the event.

The event’s donation goal of $75,000 was exceeded by five percent, raising the total amount to $79,213.

Jill Bishop, an employee of one of the event’s sponsors, expressed the urgency of drug abuse treatment.

“I think this is such an important organization for our community, now more than ever,” said Bishop.

With the number of drug-related deaths in Cook County on the rise, Bishop’s hopes are something PEER Services takes to heart. Their efforts are reflected in kids like Malcolm, a fourth grader attending the event with his parents.

“I don’t really think drugs are a good idea,” said Malcolm.

In short, the Step Up for Recovery walk was a gathering of community, family and friends to raise funds and awareness for a common cause. PEER Services relies fully on the people who step up and volunteer their money or time, and hopes to provide help to anyone who could need it throughout the Chicagoland area.