Exploring extracurricular excellence: ETHS clubs ignite passion, imagination

In addition to a wide variety of course options, ETHS also has an abundance of clubs that students can participate in. These clubs cover a broad spectrum of interests, from games to animals to science. As new students begin to settle into their daily school life, many of these organizations have come to define their extracurricular interests. From Bio-Olympiad to Bird Club, here is a breakdown of some of ETHS’ club offerings.

Bio-Olympiad

This club, recently founded by seniors Tate Darin and Daniel Jung, meets on Mondays after school in the Hub. For students passionate about medicine, and natural sciences in general, Bio-Olympiad gives them a place to explore their interests outside of classroom curricula.

“I took AP Biology, which interested me in Biology as a career option,” said Darin. “My friend, Daniel Jung, with whom I co-founded the club, is also very interested in medicine, so we decided to make the ETHS Bio Club to share our love of the subject with the school.”

The primary focus within the club is to prepare students for the U.S.A. Biology Olympiad (USABO). It’s a nationwide biology competition in which 5,000 to 10,000 students participate yearly. All are eligible to compete in the Open Exam in February. The top 20 semifinalists are invited to the National Finals, a two-week training camp on a university campus. The top four competitors from the National Finals qualify for the International Biology Olympiad, which will be held in Kazakhstan in 2024.

Although the main focus of the club is on competition, other activities are also on offer.

“There are also fun labs and activities throughout the year, but most of the time is spent on review sessions to prepare the members for competition,” said Darin.

The number of labs depends on when Teresa Granito, club sponsor and biology teacher, is available, but Darin and Jung try to incorporate as much hands-on learning as possible.

“It’s suitable for students who are considering AP Bio. It’s hard to know what class you will be in, especially for AP classes, but I think Bio Club is a perfect way to start since many of the topics we cover are also covered in the AP Bio curriculum, so students can get a hold of how AP Bio may go for them,” said Darin. “It’s an excellent way to connect with others interested in science.”

Dungeons & Dragons

Dungeons & Dragons, the popular role playing game, is also the focus of another club at ETHS. This club aims to give students a creative, imaginative outlet into the fantasy world.

At the core of it all is imagination and creativity,” said Jennifer Smith, one of the club’s sponsors who also is the Student Success Center (Hub) Specialist. “We have kids that come in, we have our Dragon Masters who have a storyline. And they take all these other players, called Adventurers, along with them on the storyline. And if something happens or comes up, they must figure out how to navigate this as a team.”

This atmosphere that is created during the game, one of teamwork, also functions on a greater level than just the game; it’s an opportunity for students to come out of their shell.

“It’s a collaborative, imaginative and creative way for students to meet other friends. This club also centers on kids who have trouble being seen, and they get to come into this judgment-free space and just be,” said Smith. “That’s what we strive for; we want to be a welcoming space for everybody to come and enjoy something that they love to do.”

Dungeons & Dragons club runs for two and a half hours, each Wednesday after school in the Hub. Multiple game sessions are held at the same time, as students get into their storyline.

“They’re just excited to be there. And we hear loud, happy sounds coming from these different groups. You don’t know what’s going on. But they’re excited, and that’s all that matters,” said Smith. “It’s great.”

Bird Club

A recent addition to the clubs at ETHS is the Bird Club, run by Elizabeth Hartley, an English teacher. This club focuses on learning about bird species, as well as the problems they face on a daily basis. 

Spencer Perlstadt, one of the active club members, was described by Hartley. 

“He’s serious, he’s a super nice guy, but he’s serious. He has a weekly presentation slide; he runs it by the seasons. Right now, birds are running into glass [of buildings] more than almost any other time of the year because the sunlight is shifting, and their environments are changing. And we, the city of Chicago, are in the middle of the biggest massive bird migration map,” said Hartley. 

For students interested in this aviary species, Bird Club offers a variety of ways to engage with bird learning.

“Awareness, education, but also fun. The students do quizzes, and they do bird IDs and they have a ton of fun,” said Hartley.

Philosophy Club

The Philosophy Club offers a space for learning about the world and how other people experience it. For many, it’s an outlet to discuss broader societal topics than what they might cover in class.

“During my bioethics unit in my first year in biology, I connected and enjoyed critically thinking about challenging things that concern the world and hearing how others felt. It forced me to question my beliefs,” said club member K. “I like a space where people can just be human. An unexpected bonus is that it helps with public speaking and articulating your thoughts in a less intimidating setting.”

For students who enjoy questioning common schools of thought, Philosophy Club is a space where they can thrive.

“Evanston is a bubble; many people have the same ideas and aren’t willing to or don’t know how to broaden their horizons and challenge their beliefs. Therefore, we have made the Philosophy Club a space where people from all over the school can come and do that,” said K. 

At first glance, the nature of the club might feel intimidating to some, however, K stressed that all students, even those who just want to listen, are welcome.

“While we do have serious conversations, we also have a lot of fun ones, so if you’re looking for a chill environment to engage in some dialogue (or listen), Philosophy Club might be right for you,” said K.